Respected Contributor

Re: Stealing Water During The Drought

In our county we grow avocados and citrus. The avocado trees are dying. Many farmers have cut them back to stumps, painted them white to prevent burning in hopes that they will survive dormancy for a year or so. It is a very difficult time. Ranchers have sold or moved their cattle to colorado and further east. 

Some farmers are being paid to allow their fields to go fallow.

I have fifty rosebushes, cut back to stumps, mostly covered in mulch. I am hoping that the meager water I give them will keep some alive until we get rain. Our beautiful citrus trees are yellow and sad.

We are doing as much as we can. Our ground water is very low and we are running out of options. 

Our parks are brown trees in front of our courthouse are dying. It is very serious!

Respected Contributor

Ugh. Shame on him.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

I don't know why he doesn't cut back those tree limbs.  He probably gets all kinds of wildlife on his roof and some that probably has entered his home....i.e. squirrels, roof rats, insects. 

Honored Contributor

UPDATE:

Fox has reported water was stolen 12 times and taken to two of his houses.

The LA Times reported that the water came from a water district that is not that of the Selleck's, which legally makes it worse.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

I heard this on the news.  He lives in a very dry area - Ojai.  Pretty with lots of horse properties and oak trees but it's very, very, dry.  Now that this is public knowledge, he will probably stop.  Won't prevent him from buying water though - he can still do that. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

I do NOT know for sure but basically this info was in the news some weeks back - this is re California. Residences use about 10 percent of the water. Agriculture uses 50 percent and environmental things, i.e. parks, etc use 40 percent of the water - add them up and it comes to 100 percent. Now the interesting thing is this. When I heard this breakdown I also heard this.  Agriculture is allowed all the water they want and that is that - they do hot have to conserve. Same with the environmental issues. Now the residences which make up a whopping 10 percent usage are the ones being fined, suffering huge increase in water rates and are put on conservation. Now when we are mandated 25 percent cutback - remember the total water usage is 10 percent - boy howdy, isn't that a lot of water saved???. If indeed this is correct then it is pretty sad. To me agriculture and parks should have the same restrictions as homes - give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But supposedly they cannot be forced to cut back on anything. Like I said I cannot swear to this but did hear it on TV news a few weeks back.

well, one way or the other you will pay for it when the water bills go up and/or the grocery bills go up.  And parks?  No parks, nobody but the wealthy have good outside facilities if we don't take care of public parks.

Honored Contributor

I will be interested to see what he has to say.

Honored Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

We have over 40+ roses growing on our property; in full bloom right now.  Lovely, down right lovely.  In colors of white and pink growing over the white picket fense.  The grass is green.

........oh gee....see my point? 

NO, I do not see your point.  Your vegetation is thriving during the drought?

Honored Contributor

I don't see the point either.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]