Honored Contributor

Stealing Water During The Drought

This makes me sad.  I would have thought better of him:

"Actor Tom Selleck, who portrayed Thomas Magnum on the hit 1980s show about the Hawaii-based private investigator, swiped water from a hydrant near a construction site at least a dozen times since 2013 and had it delivered to his private 60-acre ranch in Thousand Oaks, Calif., the lawsuit obtained by the Daily News said.

The complaint said a "large, white water tender type truck bearing commercial license 8M37154 was observed filling the truck's water tank with water from a hydrant" and making the trips to Selleck's property even after cease-and-desist letters were sent to the actor and his wife."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/tom-selleck-accused-stealing-water-calif-drought-article-1....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/tom-selleck-accused-stealing-water-calif-drought-article-1....

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Re: Stealing Water During The Drought

I read that . The article also made mention of the lush yards of many Hollywood actors. They should be setting an example, not stealing from the public supply. Shame on them

Honored Contributor

Well, isn't he special?
Honored Contributor

What a lousy thing to do.  He should be ashamed of himself.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Shame, shame; double shame on him.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I keep thinking maybe he didn't know what was going on, but I don't see how that could be. 

There's a nice photo of his house on the link, all green.  Maybe it's an old pic, but the bottom line is most people's lawns and landscaping are brown by now.  If his isn't, he had to have noticed and wondered why.

Esteemed Contributor

So much for his patriotism. These wealthy, privileged Hollywood types think they should be immune from what the rest of the commoners need to do. It is NOT a matter of what one can afford but what people can do in their community, in their county, and in their state to help alleviate the horrendous repercussions of this unprecedented drought. Shame on those who try to get around the rules just because they have the cash to bribe others to do their bidding.
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

I keep thinking maybe he didn't know what was going on, but I don't see how that could be. 

There's a nice photo of his house on the link, all green.  Maybe it's an old pic, but the bottom line is most people's lawns and landscaping are brown by now.  If his isn't, he had to have noticed and wondered why.

Except that he has been sent cease and desist letters. 

And according to what I saw on GMA this morning, he's not the only one doing this either. 

Honored Contributor

You're right, LD.  But wealthy people usually don't handle their own mail.  He could always say he never saw the letters, but he sure as heck can't say he never noticed his emerald green lawn.

Honored Contributor

This is just pitiful. I will hope he makes a statement about this sometime soon, and perhaps his 'people' did this unbeknownst to him.