Esteemed Contributor

I hope civilization can come out of this frightening season more appreciative and considerate. I look forward to hearing more positive stories than negatives, but the negatives are top-loaded and out there. I observed nonsence behavior last Friday from a handful of professionals at work who ranted, to the point of not making sense, in the Dean's office. Security was called on one man. Professor.... of Sociology. I know! Who should understand groups of people better than this guy? A few, unprepared faculty were fearful in general plus they weren't prepared to teach online as they should have been. So they blame shifted. I have an anxiety-ridden person in our family who is calling relatives with doomsday worry. He's doing the right things to protect self and family, but the 'what ifs' are consuming his mind. Fear and anxiety are emotions many people must fight daily. I'm not being unkind.      

Remember.... Fear makes people withdraw then sometimes lash out, anger makes people attack first and these emotions are related in complex ways. If you're so frustrated you turn to hate or take revenge? Well, that leads to suffering, which also consumes mental and physical energy.

Stay well informed and speak peace and hope and be sensible. I'm sensing we'll soon see a light at the end of this dark tunnel. I appreciate the positive, kind, well-informed posters on this forum. Be well.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Thank you for your sensitive post.....Woman Happy

It's been crazy but we'll get through this.... my dear Father nearly died at 3 years of age in 1918 of the Flu.  The doctor told my Grandmother that he wouldn't live through the night.... but he sure did!  He went on to live a brilliant life even though he was susceptible to pneumonia for the rest of this life.  And there was so much less the world could do to fight it back then....

But I agree, people are nuts out there and need to calm down and listen to reason.... Woman Happy 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

What a voice of sweet reason, @jeanlake .  I imagine we're all experiencing varying degrees of anxiety and fear-- it's only natural.   I do believe it's what we do about those normal human emotions that matters.

The Great Depression made a huge impression on my parents-- the many people who committed suicide, the families that were reduced to destitution, the rootless impoverished men who started criss-crossing the continent by hopping freight trains...

There was a lot of courage and strong spirit too though.  So much to admire.  FDR is probably known more for these words than any others--  "The only thing we have to fear.... is fear itself".  

I suppose today he'd be accused of papering over the problems, or offering tired bromides.  But those words serve the purpose of being bracing and comforting at the same time...

Thanks for a thought-provoking and wise post.

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake   Thank you.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Thought I'd share something positive.

My sister asked me earlier if I knew there was a facebook page for our county, for people who needed any help because of this virus. There was a lady who had an elderly friend, actually just out of the county, who was needing eggs. Some one saw it, said she had plenty of eggs, and could someone take them to the lady in need. Sure enough, someone quickly stepped forward, and offered to go get the eggs and take to the elderly woman.

There are lots of folks who want to help and are more than willing to.

I think those who are willing and able to help may very well be the only way we make it through this.

Honored Contributor

jeanlake,

Your calm, rationality and hope have illuminated this dark, disturbing unknown.

Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

90144157_668778673948329_5511135503458166018_n.jpg

Honored Contributor

#hope + kindness đź’›