Regular Contributor

Stay safe if in the path of the hurricane

I hope everyone in the path of hurricane Matthew are prepared and will be safe.  I am on the Florida east coast just south of Daytona beach and we are prepared as much as anyone can be.  We are just 5 miles from the beach.  As a native Floridian and having lived in both central and south Florida I have been through many hurricanes.  I want to urge everyone to take the warnings very very seriously. Prepare for the worse and hope for the best. Good luck and prayers for everyone. Stay safe!

Honored Contributor

Re: Stay safe if in the path of the hurricane

My Florida condo is just inside the southern warning zone and I'm less than a quarter mile from the Intra-coastal.  Not a great feeling.

I'm personally safe right now because I'm on Long Island where, if we're lucky, we'll get a day of heavy rain.  That will still mean nearby flooding, but I expect to be okay.

As for everything else, once we've done sensible prep, our safety really depends upon good fortune.  @merriI wish you that good fortune -- and I'm hoping to drive right past you in a few weeks as I head south for the winter.  Assuming I95 survives, of course.

Esteemed Contributor

We live just outside the cone but will still stock up on items needed when the power goes off and move any outside items inside.  You just never know what to expect!

Honored Contributor

To all of you in the path of the hurricane, you are 

Image result for sending prayers images

Respected Contributor

I have retired friends who fairly recently bought a house near West Palm Beach.  They still own the condo next door to me, but had decided to gradually make the shift to FL after spending many winters in that area of the inner coastal.  This will be their first severe weather experience, and I'm concerned for them.  Have sent an email, but no reply as yet.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Stay safe everyone. Be Prepared.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in Central Florida.  I am not toooo concerned, but am trying to be prepared as best I can.  I was at Walmart this morning.  They were all sold out of cases of water.  I have enough, but was going to buy more.  They were also all sold out of D size batteries.  They had every other size except D.

I was a bit confused on what food to buy.  I did not want to get anything that had to be refriderated or frozen in case the power goes out, as that could be wasted money.  I did not want to buy cans of soup and have to eat it cold.  I also did not want to buy a bunch of cookies and junk food. So I bought a bag of sourdough pretzels.  Bring it on.... I am ready now! LOL

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Hoping everyone remans safe. 

We have quite a few posters in Florida.Smiley Sad

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Contributor

I am also in the area where the storm is expected to hit!!  My husband

went to SAMs this morning!!!!  No more water and 1 loaf of bread!!

we already had batteries so I wasn't too worried about that!!   I got a couple 

of books to read!   I'm saying a prayer for no real bad damage!   We 

might lose a couple of trees,  just don't want any damage to the house and garage 

and my husbands shop!!   

Hope me all stays safe in the storm!!

Contributor

Hope all stays safe in the storm!!!!