Honored Contributor

State tax letter sent in error

This morning I had to deal with an issue that I was dreading, so much I put it off for almost a week.
In mid April after we received our tax refund shortly after rhatreceived a letter from NY State saying we that our tax refund was in error and we needed to send that back plus $4000.
I immediately contacted our tax prepare who opened an inquiry, fast forward 6 weeks I get a message from NY State regarding the letter.
I finally called today and was told the letter was in error. I can only say I wish they had send another letter saying the previous one was in error.
I am very happy but so annoyed.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: State tax letter sent in error

Still good news and now you can go shopping.  I love living in a state with no personal income tax.  Buy something pretty with the $4,000. saved @I am still oxox 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Mistakes happen.  At least it was an easy fix.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I hope you asked them to send a letter saying the first letter was an error.  That letter might be in the pipeline but I certainly would have asked for one.

Respected Contributor

I know how worrisome that can be. We once received a letter from the IRS saying we owed taxes in regards to a health savings account.   We have never had a health savings account.   As it turned out the person with the health savings account had almost the same social security number as I do and a typo was made. But receiving a letter from the IRS sent me into a panic and I was so happy when it got cleared up. 

Honored Contributor

Those letters from the IRS send me into a cold sweat.....glad you got the issue resolved, but to bad they could not have sent you a letter letting you know a mistake had occured!