Esteemed Contributor

Re: Starting Day 4 Of My News Blackout.

@kivah  I asked myself last week why I let people, with traits I stay away from and dislike in my everyday life, in my LR via TV.

I worked with a pathological liar.  She also wanted all the credit and nothing was ever her fault. It was he**.

My boss was phobic about everything, xenophobic, homophobic etc. He was racist albiet quietly. And he was a horn dog to boot.

I left. My life was much better.

My news, when I choose to look, will come from print.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Hey, if it works for you, more power to you. I always watch the news. Some of it I don't particularly like, but just like life, some good some bad.

I have never let things that are happening around me, over which I have no control, bother me. This era of times, while not the best, I don't let effect me any differently.

Really haven't changed much in that respect for decades now, and have no plans of changing. Life moves on and so will I, 1 day at a time.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I used to watch the news every morning before I went to campus to work.  Now since I work at home, everything I used to do before work has changed.  Never watch it now.  I get up the same time, but I have things to do around the house.  I can't really leave the computer during work. I don't take any lunch hour now or any breaks. My husband sometimes makes me lunch, which I eat in front of the computer.   For years I knew how to plan my day and plan it while I work.  Now I can't.  I do find out the new in the evenings on occasion, but now I do housework at that time. And do all the house work I could't do during the daytime.

Esteemed Contributor

I watch the news and read the news from many sources. I, was told that, I need to know the pulse of the nation. 

Esteemed Contributor

Since primary voting has passed and a special announcement has been made to help with November voting, I can back off news a bit. Instead of wanting to get varied information sources, l now watch only the reporting I like. I like to stay informed enough to have good conversations with people.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Still keep up with the news and several journals, but I am Reading, rather than Watching.

Amazing change No Drama, No Screaming, No Hysteria.

You make such a good point, I would never have anyone in my home who behaved in such a manner.

PS> I think we had the same boss.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

I take breaks from watching news, too! I try to have a news-free day at least once a week for mental health purposes. 

If you want to keep abreast of world news without listening to a biased media source, I would recommend a subscription to an online newspaper called The Dispatch. They are only funded by their subscribers, so their reporting isn't influenced by partisan donors, like everything you see on TV. They do have op-eds, which are opinionated, obviously, but you can skip those (I do). 

Respected Contributor

People are wise to protect their minds from too much noise/news but it is good to know some basics that are happening, I think.  I keep news on but I have it muted except for certain programs that I want to hear.  If anything important comes on the screen, I can unmute. 

I mainly tire of the repeating of the stupids and it gets repeated a lot.  And the scary news that I can't do anything about now, that helpless feeling it gives me --- what is the point in listening to it over and over.  It's almost torture.  Good to end it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand how stressful the news is.  However, I feel compelled to keep my ear to the ground (so to speak), because things are happening all over the planet that have an effect on all of us.  

If we keep our heads in the sand, it's inevitable that something or someone comes galloping along and stomps us into the ground.  We can lose our freedom, our way of life and all that our forefathers fought for.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

I must have seen every rerun of Law and Order in order to avoid the news and now the election cycle.  The pandemic is causing enough anxiety and I don't need more.