Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

During this time many people are staying home and not driving their cars. This might cause car batteries to go dead if left there without starting them. Just go out there and start 'em up occasionally and don't let them die. Some of us don't have Halo rechargers.

Glad you are here for us.You always have the best advice.

Honored Contributor

Oh thank you @dex . I'm glad to help.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee Right! And let them run a few minutes to keep the battery charged.

I personally am going grocery shopping once a week and that's it for me. I may now and then just drive around the block a few minutes to get out of my house and yard!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My car sits in a very cold garage...like freezing cold. That puts a drain on the battery and it also shortens the life of it to the point where it eventually will need replaced.

@SilleeMee 

ITA when it gets cold if your car needs a new battery you will find out in the winter.

We had a cold front move in last night. Suppose to get down to 26° tonight. I had my ac on yesterday & back to heat today.

Honored Contributor

@bonnie f wrote:

i was told yrs ago from the place i took my car for an oil change.. i put very few miles on my car.. about 6,000 miles a yr.. they told me let ur car run or at least drive it every few days even if its through your town.. just to keep everything lubricated..for the oil to run through your car etc.. and it makes sense... you dont want the oil etc to just sit in your car

@bonnie f 

My car sits far to long. I told DH he needs to drive it to work sometimes. I don't really like him driving my car though cuz sometimes he drives crazy IMO.  

We always changed our oil & filters in our vehicles every 3 months.

With these newer vehicles they say it does not need to be changed like that. We change my oil in my car once per year as Toyota said that's really all it needs with my mileage. They said it really did not need to be done once per year? I'm not letting my car go over a year without an oil/filter change I don't care how clean it is.

My car still runs like it did when I bought it in 2013. Looks brand new. When I sold my 1991 Dodge Dynasty it still looked almost new. People could not believe it had original paint on it. No tears inside etc. 

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@bonnie f wrote:

i was told yrs ago from the place i took my car for an oil change.. i put very few miles on my car.. about 6,000 miles a yr.. they told me let ur car run or at least drive it every few days even if its through your town.. just to keep everything lubricated..for the oil to run through your car etc.. and it makes sense... you dont want the oil etc to just sit in your car

@bonnie f 

My car sits far to long. I told DH he needs to drive it to work sometimes. I don't really like him driving my car though cuz sometimes he drives crazy IMO.  

We always changed our oil & filters in our vehicles every 3 months.

With these newer vehicles they say it does not need to be changed like that. We change my oil in my car once per year as Toyota said that's really all it needs with my mileage. They said it really did not need to be done once per year? I'm not letting my car go over a year without an oil/filter change I don't care how clean it is.

My car still runs like it did when I bought it in 2013. Looks brand new. When I sold my 1991 Dodge Dynasty it still looked almost new. People could not believe it had original paint on it. No tears inside etc. 

its funny that you mentioned toyota.. i just got a brand new car from them back in sept. they scheduled me an appt for an oil change this month... with my last car it was old.... they said every 3,000 miles which lasted me at least every 8 months... i dont drive alot at all... i called toyota and told them i barely have 2,000 miles on my car, do i need to bring it in.. they said yes its every 6 months or 5,000 miles.. i told her i hardly drive, i dont even have 2,000 miles on it.. she told me to take it in... its free but a waste of my time..  lol.... but im still going.. 

Respected Contributor

In addition to keeping the battery going, you want to keep the critters from nesting in your car's engine compartment. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Start your car.

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee 

I use "Battery Tender."  Permanently, attached to the car battery, it keeps the battery charged at 100% all the time.  I had my car dealer install it.  Doesn't look difficult to attach, though.

A wire from the Tender comes out of the grill in the front.  It attaches to another wire that's plugged into an electrical outlet.  Located on the plug in the wall is a light.  It is solid red when the battery needs charged. Flashes red when it is charging.  Flashes green when the battery is 80% charged.  Solid green when 100% charged. 

When you go out, you just unplug the connection where the two wires are connected at the grill.  When you come back, plug the two together.  You don't need to open the hood because the connection plug hangs a little outside the grill.  The Tender will begin to charge your battery again to 100%.

It keeps my battery fully charged all the time.  

The service manager said batteries last 50% longer if they are fully charged at 100% all the time, so this gadget might also be good for some who drive short distances once weekly.  

You need a garage, though, since it uses an electrical outlet. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Start your car.

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

@SilleeMee 

I use "Battery Tender."  Attached to the car battery, it keeps the battery charged at 100% all the time.  I had my car dealer install it.  Doesn't look difficult to attach, though.

A wire from the Tender comes out of the grill in the front.  It attaches to another wire that's plugged into an electrical outlet.  Located on the plug in the wall is a light.  It is solid red when the battery needs charged. Flashes red when it is charging.  Flashes green when the battery is 80% charged.  Solid green when 100% charged. 

When you go out, you just unplug the connection where the two wires are connected at the grill.  When you come back, plug the two together.  The Tender will begin to charge your battery again to 100%.

It keeps my battery fully charged all the time.  

The service manager said batteries last 50% longer if they are fully charged at 100% all the time, so this gadget might also be good for some who drive short distances once weekly.  

You need a garage, though, since it needs an electrical outlet. 

@Foxxee 

I have something similar. Mine is made by Duracell and it plugs into the cig lighter socket and it doesn't connect to the battery itself. I never have to open the hood.  It has second cord which gets plugged onto an electrical outlet in my garage. Essentially the thing recharges the car battery just like you would charge your cell phone or tablet. I keep it plugged in until I have to drive. Battery is always at 100% charge level. 

That thing is called a Duracell Battery Maintainer.