Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

That's true!

I guess I wasn't even thinking of that.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

We are going out once maybe twice a week. That should be good for keeping batteries going... but if you never drive again for months... not a bad idea at all.

Honored Contributor

If your battery goes dead because of a few weeks on non use, you have an old battery that needs replaced.

It would take months for a good battery to lose it's charge because of non use.

It is true that a battery uses energy to start a car and driving a car replenishes the charge.  If you start your car, you should leave it running for a while.  Just starting your car, then turning if off will kill your battery over time.

The battery's main job is to zap the car to start. After it is started, the alternator takes over and powers the car.  If your car is just setting there unused, the battery will keep the clock and car alarm running. That is what drains the battery in an undriven car.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee You've refreshed my memory - yes was told computer plus gadgets do in fact put a drain on battery when OFF..  Daily start ups certainly overdoes it too.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@SilleeMee You've refreshed my memory - yes was told computer plus gadgets do in fact put a drain on battery when OFF..  Daily start ups certainly overdoes it too.

Yes, of course follow the directions for proper battery maintenance. @fthunt 

Regular Contributor

I was going to say the same thing. If you start your car take it for a spin!Smiley HappyI think I'll do that later...

@bonnie f wrote:

yes.. if your bored drive through your town.. your not coming in contact with anyone... drive your car for 10 or 15 min. 

Honored Contributor

Guess it depends on what kind of car you have. Never had any problems with my car starting. Mine sits in the garage all the time. Sometimes it's sits there 2 months or more without being started. LOL!!! I don't get out much so having to stay home is not a problem for me. LOL!!! I'm much happier when I'm at home. I don't like being around what I call Stupid if you know what I mean.

My car is  2013 & just rolled over 13,000 miles.

Respected Contributor

Very helpful advice!  We have been trying to take just a short drive going no where, just get out and ride Smiley LOL    But it is easy to really forget to about starting your car when you are basically sheltering at home.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

My car sits in a very cold garage...like freezing cold. That puts a drain on the battery and it also shortens the life of it to the point where it eventually will need replaced.

Trusted Contributor

i was told yrs ago from the place i took my car for an oil change.. i put very few miles on my car.. about 6,000 miles a yr.. they told me let ur car run or at least drive it every few days even if its through your town.. just to keep everything lubricated..for the oil to run through your car etc.. and it makes sense... you dont want the oil etc to just sit in your car