Respected Contributor

Re: Stars and Other Luminaries From Ukraine

@golding76 Milla Jovovich is another Ukrainian-born actress:

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 12.59.29 PM.png

Esteemed Contributor

Mila and Ashton have added their $3 million to the Fund, which now stands at over $6.9 million. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76  Although he was born in the US, Dustin Hoffman'sfamily came from Kyiv, Ukraine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

With all that we have been witnessing recently and have experienced the last several years, I thought it would be good to give a listen to one of Sophie Tucker's signature songs, "Some of These Days."  It does not start until 1:15, so if her initial chatter annoys you, go right for it.

Sophie Tucker, known as "The Last of the Red-Hot Mamas," was born in Tul'chyn, Ukraine, on January 13, 1887.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3heCSPJrO70&list=RD3heCSPJrO70&index=1

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

Match?

The news report this morning said they were giving, no mention of matching funds....there is a difference.

I applaud them either way, but was just wondering which story is accurate.

@RespectLife 

Well, yes, there is a difference.  The point of matching is to encourage others to contribute.   

If they just donate, it's $3 mil.   If others donate and they match, it could be $6 mil or more.  With this couple's social media savvy, I think a lot of donations will be made far beyond $3 million.   

Well obviously @Tinkrbl44 

I know the point and know fully how it works.  Snark was not necessary.

I was looking for clarification since my news reported it differently. 

My news station reported that the couple made a 3 million dollar donation. 

NO mention of a match, NO mention of looking for donors to join, NO mention of Go Fund me!

Geez, what is your issue?

Thank you @Johnnyeager  for the clarification.

@RespectLife 

Not snark, and no issue.  I simply took your words at face value, and had no way of knowing the problem was that your news source was incomplete.

You'll notice on here that there are a few who go out of their way to bash celebrities, no matter what they do.  Damned if they do, and damned if they don't.  

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your meaning, but as I said, I just took those words at face value.  

Regular Contributor

My paternal grandparents were immigrants from Ukraine. Kyiv in particular. I don't give a flying fig about other "stars or luminaries". It's the everyday people who count to me, not the rich and famous.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Mila and Ashton have added their $3 million to the Fund, which now stands at over $6.9 million. 

Sounds pretty effective to me. What a great use of their celebrity!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

I appreciate your post, thank you....it is sometimes difficult to get the posters intent just typed words.

However, my very first post 'at face value' was very clear:

My news reported a donation...nothing about a match or Go Fund Me.

I was asking for clarification of the type of donation....since a poster mentioned GFM.

and I clearly said "I applaud them either way, but was just wondering which story is accurate."

My local station should get their facts straight before reporting. 

How many other people didn't know they could join in contributing since nothing was mentioned about the match or a GFM.