Trusted Contributor

Re: Starkist tuna now owned by S. Korea company

@sfnative wrote:

@patbz wrote:

Really?  You have a problem with S.Korea as a source of canned food?  It is one of the Worlds most mechanized and sophisticated countries.  This is Not the S. Korea of the 1950s, actually it is similar in many ways to Japan.  I lived there for 4 years and I'm baffled by your husband's "horror stories" unless he was way out in the country or on an isolated military base.

Yes, per SMAUG'S statement and my personal knowledge per a "filth inspector" friend of mine.

As a filth inspector this is what she does.  She receives a daily batch of petri dishes into which has been plated a sample of one can or jar or tube or package of food from an Asian country.  The petri dish is grided.  Her job is to count rodent hairs, insect parts and bark/flower parts, etc., under microscope.  The parts are counted per grid and noted per grid number and petri dish number.  The food tested comes from customs, which pulls food samples at random at port cities just off tanker ships.

My friend said the most contaminated thing she ever viewed under scope was skark fins for the highly prized shark fin soup consummed during certain festivals.  Apparently this was so because the fins are laid out to dry under the sun with no protection.

When I asked her what she would advise me, if anything, she said that if I plan to cook any Asian dishes or just use soy sauce, just make sure the ingredients originate in the U.S..  After this, she said she would never, ever cook with or eat......and her list was humongous.

Great suggestion.