Honored Contributor

Re: Starkist tuna now owned by S. Korea company

@Another new name Sue wrote:

So what kind of tuna are you buying?  I don't blame you; I avoid food processed in China too.

Bumble Bee had a recent accident which didn't speak too well of their processing practices.

I buy the highly rated albacore tuna at Costco.  Their brand.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not eat the Albacore very often.  I never eat it daily or every week.  It is more like once a month.  

I do not like the other kinds of light tuna...I never eat that.  Do not like the taste.

So I guess I'm ok eating Solid White Albacore tuna.

Esteemed Contributor

I use Chicken of the Sea. I never liked Starkist or Bumble Bee.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

onewhiteSparrow wrote:

I do not eat the Albacore very often.  I never eat it daily or every week.  It is more like once a month.  

I do not like the other kinds of light tuna...I never eat that.  Do not like the taste.

Yeah, that's what I figure.  One six-pack of 7oz cans of Kirkland White Albacore will last me more than a year. 

IMO, if one is either eating a lot of it or feeding it to kids or animals - there is where the concern could be.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

Yeah, that's what I figure.  One six-pack of 7oz cans of Kirkland White Albacore will last me more than a year. 

IMO, if one is either eating a lot of it or feeding it to kids or animals - there is where the concern could be.  Smiley Happy

chickenbutt,   Looks like the amount we eat... we are going to live.  (smile)  

Respected Contributor

when i did eat canned tuna i would get Italian Tonno in the imported food aisle.  i can no longer eat fresh or canned tuna for several reasons.  one is tuna is highly sensitive to temperature fluctuations from the moment it is caught. according to Food Safety News, StarKist has had a laundry list of offenses including not providing documentation to FDA upon requests and  holding thawed precooked tuna loins at over 75 degrees  before processing. if they did it who is to know what other processors do this?

Esteemed Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

Does anyone know where the kirkland tuna comes from?

According to this article it comes from Bumblebee but is not the same as what is marketed to supermarkets under the Bumblebee brand.

http://www.brandculture.com/the-one-brand-breaks-all-rules-costco-kirkland-signature/

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

chickenbutt,   Looks like the amount we eat... we are going to live.  (smile)  

I don't know about you, but I'm tough to kill anyway.  That's proven itself out numerous times.  Smiley Happy

Also - I made a mistake.  I just noticed that the pack of albacore my husband brought me from Costco several months ago has EIGHT cans, not six.  Oops!   Anyway, they're all 8 there so that goes to show how frequently I use it.  Love it, though!

My memory is getting so bad and I've been using this product for so many years.  d'oh!

Trusted Contributor

I don't buy canned tuna. Have always questioned what those cans actually contain!

Respected Contributor

It seems it has come to the fact we can't eat anything that can harm us.