Esteemed Contributor

Re: Starbucks' Cup Controversy

It is a cup!  How sensitive can one get over a CUP!  I cannot even look at the news anymore, the world is one big mess, turmoil, mass murder, hate crimes, threat of war, bombs on planes,  yikes, I cannot go on without wanting to go back to bed until it is all over.... (not likely).  

We should be reaching out to each other in joy that there are still holidays to share and be proud of.  We should be reaching out to each other to find common ground, not try to destroy the fabric of society.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@febe1 wrote:

People want what they always put on them: Mery Christmas.

Then give the customers a magic marker at the counter and they can write their own "Mery Christmas" on their own cup...if that's what makes them happy.  Smiley

Oh.  I forgot something...

I hope no one is offended.  Smiley

Respected Contributor

Personally I think all the talk about these cups are really dumb. But then some like to complain about anything don't they?

Respected Contributor

@brii wrote:

It would make sense to do a winter theme - snowflakes, snowmen, things like that.

not everyone experiences winter in the same way.

that said - none of those themes are exclusive to Christianity or Christmas. 

perhaps starbucks wanted to save some $$ with the cups and not print up all of those designs this year.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Here's a link to the story the Seattle Times has:

www.seattletimes.com/business/starbucks-red-holiday-cups-inspire-outcry-online/

with the controversy apparently begun by someone describing himself as an "evangelist, Internet and social media personality" on his Facebook page.  The comments below the story are interesting.

Note that under the caption, the Times says "Microsoft" instead of "Starbucks."  The commenters say the Times makes a fair number of mistakes like that.  

I am laughing at his "prank" where he tells the barista that his name is Merry Christmas and they HAVE to write it on the cup - and he is SO proud of himself, thinking he "tricked" Starbucks

I hate to break it to him, but Starbucks is laughing all the way to the bank, as he just spent over 4.00 on a cup of coffee just to "trick" them, which is doubtful. 

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

IMO only, there are a lot of things to get fired up about and this isn't one of them. It is still red and festive. They still have the Christmas Blend. If the people do not like it vote with your wallet and don't spend your money there. On the scale of social causes it ranks low on the totem pole.

I was going to post a response that made me giggle when I thought it, but based on the senses of humor of some posters here, I'll skip it.

This topic is interesting to me because it describes a population that I've been watching with some curiosity, and I don't want the thread to go down.

CHEERS TO ALL!

Respected Contributor

It's a coffee cup. The design changes from year to year. This year the cup is red, the lid is white, the Starbucks emblem is green. Those are the traditional Christmas colors. To say it's a war on Christianity or Christmas is so far to the edge that some are in danger of falling off. It's really sad that there are those who go looking for something, anything, to be offended by.

I like the way the cup presents itself. Simple, unadorned, yet it stands out because of the beautiful red color. Distinctive.

And as with other things in life, if you object to the snowflakes and snowmen being absent, draw them yourself. They don't mean Christmas to me. Neither does Merry Christmas. They are only words. The symbolism of color choices does-as I said before, red, white and green: the colors of Christmas.

Respected Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

It's a coffee cup. The design changes from year to year. This year the cup is red, the lid is white, the Starbucks emblem is green. Those are the traditional Christmas colors. To say it's a war on Christianity or Christmas is so far to the edge that some are in danger of falling off. It's really sad that there are those who go looking for something, anything, to be offended by.

I like the way the cup presents itself. Simple, unadorned, yet it stands out because of the beautiful red color. Distinctive.

And as with other things in life, if you object to the snowflakes and snowmen being absent, draw them yourself. They don't mean Christmas to me. Neither does Merry Christmas. They are only words. The symbolism of color choices does-as I said before, red, white and green: the colors of Christmas.

Well said!!

People just look to be offended. 

So the war on Starbucks continues...outrage over sitting too long, cups...what next. The barista blinked at you funny?

At least it's not the WalMart battle...yet. Man Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

I am a Christian and I could care less about a Starbucks Cup and it's holiday design.

These people have no lives, and are obviously miserable.  This is why they feel the need to nitpick.

I am so sick of people being offended by every little thing.

Super Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

People want what they always put on them: Mery Christmas.

Starbuks has never put "Merry Christmas" on a cup. Some have had snowmen. I saw one that said "Wish" and "Hope". But no "Merry Christmas".

I think the "internet evangelist" who started this contraversey was trying to drumb up publicity for himself. Christians are supposed to live lives that point people to Christ and make them want to know the God we say we serve. This does not do that.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” H.P. Lovecraft