Honored Contributor

Stanford expells student

[ Edited ]

Stanford, along with Cal Tech, the cream of the crop of universities in California has expelled a student for falsifying background and linked to $500,000 donation. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/08/us/college-admission-stanford/index.html

Stanford is the best anyone can do outside of Ivy League.  Famous for very difficult standards on SAT.  Just to graduate Masters from their business school will cost you six figures.  Columbia is considered one of the most expensive of schools.  Stanford is pretty close.

Excellent speaker. The guest was talking about the wide variety of excellent schools out there that are not publicized enough.   My school is outstanding in Biochemistry for example.   You don't have to expire to an out of reach Ivy League school, when you so many other options. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Stanford expells student

Maybe we are becoming more principled about this sort of thing. We  should make education available to everyone on a more equitable footing

Perhaps not free ,but ,more affordable ,and fairer to all

When I think of  fine minds languishing, for lack of funds, and people buying their way in, that don't care a hoot, about education, it makes me mad, and queasy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

Maybe we are becoming more principled about this sort of thing. We  should make education available to everyone on a more equitable footing

When I think of  fine minds languishing, for lack of funds, and people buying their way in, that don't care a hoot, about education, it makes me mad, and queasy

That problem is in private schools.  They can only live on endowments.  Corruption is easy to creep in with that system.  That is nothing new.  There are just as good public universities that  depend on government money.

You really can't have free universities system.  It will cheapen the intent of universities.  To get a well paying job that opens your mind to many things along the way to graduating. Not only do you get a good paying job, but you are educated in many ways.  Not every person should go to college.  It's not for everybody.  You have community colleges now.  It's low cost alternative.  You then can easily transfer to a university the last two years.  Even though my father was a Mathematics professor at a very good school, it did not give me a free ticket to get in. You have to qualify just like everyone else.

Honored Contributor

The rich will always find loopholes ,I guess. I am happy that people are actually angry about this sort of thing, and I hope people with a conscience ,will someday figure out a way, to make this a fairer system

Honored Contributor

"The student is not named in the statement or in court documents."

"The money was funneled from wealthy parents"

The parents names should be blasted all over national news feeds to discourage "future" scams.  Otherwise, these scams will continue till the end of time.  I seriously doubt the recent events will stop this type of thing.  Been going on since like "forever.

You might as well add them to the "oldest profession in the world" list. whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

My oldest daughter and son-in-law graduated from University of Va with a Masters degree from Georgetown University.  It was extremely expensive.

I'm sorry but I often think with many of these colleges you are buying the fact that you went to one of these universities.

In Virginia, we have a lot of excellent colleges.  Among them is George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia.  There are a lot of famous people who've been in government that teach there.  Yet you never hear much about that college.

There are so many excellent colleges in the United States.  I've always thought it didn't make sense the way Yale and some of the other colleges are so famous.

I remember saying to my husband at the time my daughter was going to Georgetown, "They told (my daughter) if she'd gone to George Mason University or James Madison University, she wouldn't have gotten into the Master's program at Georgetown".  My late husband laughed and said, "Humph!  I think if you have the money and decent grades, you can go anywhere".  

Boy was he right!  That's not to take away from people like my daughter who worked her fanny off.  The kind of Masters she wanted was specifically at Georgetown.

In my opinion, the worst thing these people did was when they declared on their taxes they were donating money to a charity.  That's not to say all of the other crimes weren't bad, but reading (in quotes) from People Magazine some of the comments made by these people about "Ha! Ha! Donating to charity".  That makes me sick.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ivy League schools may have more prestige... but there is no guarantee you will get a better education there. The quality of your college education depends greatly on how much time and effort the student is willing to put forth. Two of my DDs were recruited by ivy league schools...we took the tours, etc. neither one wanted to attend the schools. There was too much political ideology attached to every person we met at both schools....a big turn-off for both of my girls...they are 5 years in age difference and nothing had changed when I went with the younger DD to visit the same school....there are hundreds of great schools out there....attending one only for the parent’s bragging-rights is not the way to go....as Huffman and Loughlin have discovered.

Honored Contributor

Rich people go to these expensive, exclusive universities as a right of passage. I don't have a problem with that as long as it doesn't effect everyone else. No,not everyone is college material, but everyone should be able to access college and a good education in general,just to level the playing field some.Just about everything that has to do with social equality is disappearing in this country, it's looking like every man for himself. Hopefully the young people will see the hand writing on the wall and step up. By the way, just because you go to an ivy league college doesn't mean you will get the job and make the salary of your dreams, the rich hire the rich first, then it's every one else, maybe.

Honored Contributor

Many many people cannot even afford their kids' college educations. In this whole mess with rich people literally buying their kids' into colleges is disgusting in my opinion. What's worse, some of these rich kids did not even know what their parents did. Then there are other kids who did know.

All of these rich folks who did this need to own up, show up in the court system and take the consequences and if this means jail time AND A LOT OF IT need to pay this price of being ignorant and stupid.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

@cherry wrote:

That problem is in private schools.  They can only live on endowments.  Corruption is easy to creep in with that system.  That is nothing new.  There are just as good public universities that  depend on government money.

You really can't have free universities system.  It will cheapen the intent of universities.  To get a well paying job that opens your mind to many things along the way to graduating. Not only do you get a good paying job, but you are educated in many ways.  Not every person should go to college.  It's not for everybody.  You have community colleges now.  It's low cost alternative.  You then can easily transfer to a university the last two years.  Even though my father was a Mathematics professor at a very good school, it did not give me a free ticket to get in. You have to qualify just like everyone else.

Not if they kept the same requirements for admission, @songbird 

I wish at least that well-qualified candidates who have no financial means could be accommodated with a financial package that would cover their expenses. A shocking number of college students are homeless and hungry on a regular basis.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland