Respected Contributor

Re: Stagnant water: has anyone else thought of this?

The NYT published an article about this days ago.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten      Interesting thought.

I think with say air conditioners... yes. Maybe big stores or hotels that run them year round might want to do some kind of system cleaning....

water pipes you just run the the water for a few minutes.....They should be fine.

Respected Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

What about people who have second homes?  Sometimes they are not at one of their homes for months at time and this doesn't seem to be an issue. 

You are right it is not an issue.  When we have been away a couple of months, we flush all the water faucets and throw out the ice in the refrig, flush out the line before making new ice.

We have a small business and got a reminder from the 
VDH for businesses to do what most folks who are gone for a period of time already do.  

Honored Contributor

What about the roaches and mice that have moved into empty buildings??

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

You can all say what you want to say about air conditioning systems causing Legionairres Disease but personally do not believe it, not for one minute and I never have.

Has anyone ever researched the number of commercial HVAC mechanics that had it or died from it?

My husband was one for 42 years and in all that time never heard of one that had it or died from it.

Same for the guys that treat the water towers on the building roofs.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

You can all say what you want to say about air conditioning systems causing Legionairres Disease but personally do not believe it, not for one minute and I never have.

Has anyone ever researched the number of commercial HVAC mechanics that had it or died from it?

My husband was one for 42 years and in all that time never heard of one that had it or died from it.

How about from reports from health departments around the United States?

• US Health departments reported nearly 10,000 cases of Legionnaires’ disease in the United States in 2018.1 However, because Legionnaires’ disease is likely underdiagnosed, this number may underestimate the true incidence.
  • About one in 10 people who gets sick from Legionnaires’ disease will die.2
  • Legionella can cause Legionnaires’ disease, and, more rarely, extrapulmonary infections, collectively known as legionellosis.
  • Scientists named the bacterium after an outbreak in Philadelphia in 1976. During that outbreak, many people who went to an American Legion convention got sick with bacterial pneumonia (lung infection).

Esteemed Contributor

I wash dishes, laundry, flush the toilet, and take showers, and never have I once come across "stagnant" water.

The people at the water plant are still working.

These fear mongering threads are getting old.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

The border between Canada and the US is closed until 6/21/20.  There are people in this area that have homes up there that cannot check on them. Most of them are summer homes but they can't get up there to do any landscaping or other maintenance work; it's not considered essential.  Many are concerned about the pipes and water pressure and septic/sewer issues.  

Helen852
Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

How about from reports from health departments around the United States?

• US Health departments reported nearly 10,000 cases of Legionnaires’ disease in the United States in 2018.1 However, because Legionnaires’ disease is likely underdiagnosed, this number may underestimate the true incidence.
  • About one in 10 people who gets sick from Legionnaires’ disease will die.2
  • Legionella can cause Legionnaires’ disease, and, more rarely, extrapulmonary infections, collectively known as legionellosis.
  • Scientists named the bacterium after an outbreak in Philadelphia in 1976. During that outbreak, many people who went to an American Legion convention got sick with bacterial pneumonia (lung infection).

@Bhvbum this doesnt answer the question I asked in my second paragraph. You're entitled to your beliefs about it as I am entitled to mine.