Honored Contributor

Re: Stagnant water: has anyone else thought of this?

We have and will live with these type of dangers 365/24/7.

Watching too much of the doom and gloom will definitely have adverse effects on a persons psyche.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To add to "the fun" more things to worry about:

The U.S. electric grid "is becoming more vulnerable to cyberattacks," according to a new assessment from the U.S. Government Accountability Office, with industrial control systems and the rise of distributed resources playing major roles in the growing risk.

Switching Power Grid to DC Could Boost its Capacity | Machine Design

An Asteroid could hit the Earth....

Asteroid almost as big as Mount Everest to pass Earth next month ...

THE SUN---

Space, Sun, and Solar Viewing: Facts versus Fiction | B&H Explora

In the future, our Sun will enter what is known as the red giant phase of its evolution. This will begin once all hydrogen is exhausted in the core and the inert helium ash that has built up there becomes unstable and collapses under its own weight. This will cause the core to heat up and get denser, causing the sun to grow in size.  It is calculated that the expanding sun will grow large enough to encompass the orbit's of Mercury, Venus, and maybe even Earth. Even if the Earth were to survive being consumed, its new proximity to the the intense heat of this red sun would scorch our planet and make it completely impossible for life to survive.

The Ring of Fire---

i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article12343109.e...

The Ring of Fire has long been an active site for earthquakes and volcanoes because of the active plate boundaries. When tectonic plates move against each other at boundaries, they cause earthquakes and eruptions of magma, which form into volcanoes

"The Big One" (Earthquake) Hits California--

A major earthquake is going to hit the along the southern San Andreas fault. We don't know when...................

California Launches Nation's First Statewide Earthquake Early ...

frabz-WOW-2cc238.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

While there are many things affected by this pandemic, I'm sure local water systems will be monitored.

Although this "stagnant water" might be an issue, I find it odd that the pollution over the decades of our water supplies isn't a concern for many people.

Chemicals, human/animal waste, trash, plastic-you name it.

I'm more concerned about these issues because the long term effects have been shown to be devasting to many communities.

Not directing this to the OP, either.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Our house was bn the market for about a year prior to selling.  YES.... we went there every week or two and ran all faucets, flushed all toilets (several times), ran the garden hoses and made sure the water hadn't evaporated (forget what it's called, but if you have a septic system there are traps that hold water stopping the sewage smell) .... believe me, you let those evaporate and you know immediately what has happened.  But yes, homes that are not lived in must be taken care of... Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

You can all say what you want to say about air conditioning systems causing Legionairres Disease but personally do not believe it, not for one minute and I never have.

Has anyone ever researched the number of commercial HVAC mechanics that had it or died from it?

My husband was one for 42 years and in all that time never heard of one that had it or died from it.

Same for the guys that treat the water towers on the building roofs.

How about from reports from health departments around the United States?

• US Health departments reported nearly 10,000 cases of Legionnaires’ disease in the United States in 2018.1 However, because Legionnaires’ disease is likely underdiagnosed, this number may underestimate the true incidence.
  • About one in 10 people who gets sick from Legionnaires’ disease will die.2
  • Legionella can cause Legionnaires’ disease, and, more rarely, extrapulmonary infections, collectively known as legionellosis.
  • Scientists named the bacterium after an outbreak in Philadelphia in 1976. During that outbreak, many people who went to an American Legion convention got sick with bacterial pneumonia (lung infection).

@Bhvbum this doesnt answer the question I asked in my second paragraph. You're entitled to your beliefs about it as I am entitled to mine.

These are not my "beliefs" But over 10,000 documented cases in 2018 by US health departments. That's good enough verification for me.  Maybe OSHA tracks this. 

Trusted Contributor

Don't we have enough to worry about?  I think some people do not have enough to do other than sit and ruminate about all the things THAT could happen.

Contributor

Our Governor has told all restaurants and other business that serve water (your fountain drinks all use community water but it is filtered) coming back to full service to be sure and flush all water lines or get a plumber to do it.

Honored Contributor

Here in WV, all of our closed restaurants had to have re-opening inspections by the county health department.  

All of this would’ve been covered by those required inspections, so no, I have no concerns.   

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Oh Goody.........something else to worry about...........and debate.

Will this never stop?

I fail to see why proactive thinking about possible dangers in a negative thing. 

Some businesses will have procedures and protocols in place to think of this and address it, but many will not. So if anyone in any position to bring it to the attention of their business reads it and does so, or if just individuals are made aware that this might be a problem, and can perhaps protect themselves if nothing else, it's all good, not something to be mocked and discounted.

I tire of those that think that people who choose to consider all the possibilities in a situation are negative or paranoid or ridiculous, and just doopty doo on through life and think everyone wants to. 

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I wash dishes, laundry, flush the toilet, and take showers, and never have I once come across "stagnant" water.

The people at the water plant are still working.

These fear mongering threads are getting old.

Your regularly used water system isn't the issue. 

The issue might be buildings who's various systems haven't been used in months, and now present dangers. Systems like water, heating and air conditioning. 

But then one more time, it wasn't about contributing to the discussion, and discussing possible scenarios, it was just about accusing those proactive enough to come up with ideas and questions of fear mongering. This bashing on every thread really needs to stop. I guess what I don't understand is if one doesn't have anything of value to contribute, or thinks the topics are much to do about nothing, why would one continue to open, read and be so agitated?