Respected Contributor

Stagnant water: has anyone else thought of this?

This country has been, for all intents and purposes, closed down for the last three months. That means a lot of business buildings have been sitting empty, with water in their pipes that haven't been flushed, moved around, whatever. That probably means they've been a breeding ground for things like Legionairre's Disease, insects, animal droppings, and who knows what all.

What's going to happen when these buildings are re-opened to their previous use?

I'm thinking that the powers-that-be are going to have to flush all those pipes out, douse them with things like bleach or anything that will sanitize--not just the water but the pipes that hold them. I wonder how long it would take? just to be safe I wonder if they'll have to open the faucets and run them 24 hours a day for perhaps a week or so?????

What do you think?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stagnant water: has anyone else thought of this?

Oh Goody.........something else to worry about...........and debate.

Will this never stop?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GoneButNotForgotten 

I heard about this issue about two weeks ago on some national news channel.  It was a serious discussion surrounding the potential for cases of Legionnaire's disease.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Oh Goody.........something else to worry about...........and debate.

Will this never stop?

Unfortunately, probably not for a while. I'm sure we're all getting tired of this. 

Honored Contributor

Well, it is something to think about.

I'm guessing that, at the very least, they should run the water in each faucet.

Same with faucets and baths/showers in hotel/motel rooms.  Run it first.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@fthunt 

@GoneButNotForgotten 

See my prior post.  It is an issue to be dealt with before closed down buildings are reopened.  It is not a debate issue but a safety one that maintenance departments need to undertake to make buildings " healthy " so returning occupants stay healthy.

i don't believe running water for days on end is exactly how building maintenance departments will handle the situation.

We take for granted that buildings are safe.  Those who died from Legionnaire's Disease in Philadelphia a few years back didn't know anything about droplets of water from AC rooftop units being hazardous to life.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

What about people who have second homes?  Sometimes they are not at one of their homes for months at time and this doesn't seem to be an issue. 

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

This country has been, for all intents and purposes, closed down for the last three months. That means a lot of business buildings have been sitting empty, with water in their pipes that haven't been flushed, moved around, whatever. That probably means they've been a breeding ground for things like Legionairre's Disease, insects, animal droppings, and who knows what all.

What's going to happen when these buildings are re-opened to their previous use?

I'm thinking that the powers-that-be are going to have to flush all those pipes out, douse them with things like bleach or anything that will sanitize--not just the water but the pipes that hold them. I wonder how long it would take? just to be safe I wonder if they'll have to open the faucets and run them 24 hours a day for perhaps a week or so?????

What do you think?

Interesting- the diocese I live in has already discussed this in detail. Even though it will still be a LONG TIME before a lot of us get back to regular attendance at Mass, the local churches will be set up for groups of 10 or less.

Mass will still be broadcast online for the foreseeable future. But the the pipes will be clean.

Respected Contributor

We have received an alert from the VDH, Virginia Dept Health, Businesses to flush all the lines,  No fears, just makes sense.  

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten @I do think restarting will require plenty of work to open responsibly but not to run water for a week.  No idea how long but I’m sure you could find that if you want to know.   I do know there are whole businesses doing sanitation. —   I know an owner of a huge chem dry franchise who had been looking for a new business as carpeting has become so much less popular - he bought a sanitation franchise just after the new year.  How’s that for falling into something at the right time???

i also know my dentist relative has been working in his office cleaning, installing protective devices, changing the waiting room and marking walking paths, etc. and scheduling patients for a planned reopening.  He’s likely to do even more than the law requires   Hoping my dentist does too.