Trusted Contributor

Staff shortage at Chicken Company

One of Delmarva's chicken companies has been hit so hard by COVID-19 that it cannot keep up with production, meaning that 2 million chickens will be killed at the Delaware and Maryland farms where they were raised but their meat will not make it to market.  PETA is calling for the farmers that need to depopulate flocks to at least kill them humanely.  The company says that attendance was at 50% which is the cause of the harvesting.  This according to my newspaper this morning.

I'm thinking this is what is contributing to the chicken shortage at the supermarkets.  Southern Delaware has two mega chicken processing plants staffed mostly by immigrants who have been hard-hit by the virus.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Staff shortage at Chicken Company

Great. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, I live in this area and the chickens will be “put to sleep” from what we hear. Chicken houses are disgusting and we have plenty of them around here. So I guess I better buy what I can because it’s happening now. 

Honored Contributor

I certainly don't have the answers to all this food waste we are experiencing, but I sincerely hope that those with experience and degrees in agriculture, and business can figure out ways to either change the systems, or at least have Plan B and Plan C for when things with Plan A go terribly wrong, like it is right now. 

We are finding so many solutions in the medical field for obtaining what we need, making what we don't have, moving things where we need them. I refuse to believe we can't do better with the food supply, it's just going to take the right minds to come up with it, and the money and commitment to do it.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I certainly don't have the answers to all this food waste we are experiencing, but I sincerely hope that those with experience and degrees in agriculture, and business can figure out ways to either change the systems, or at least have Plan B and Plan C for when things with Plan A go terribly wrong, like it is right now. 

We are finding so many solutions in the medical field for obtaining what we need, making what we don't have, moving things where we need them. I refuse to believe we can't do better with the food supply, it's just going to take the right minds to come up with it, and the money and commitment to do it.

They're open. They're doing what you want everyone to do. The people are working. Like you want them to do. And they're dropping dead and shutting down. So what do you want to happen next? Keep shoveling in workers and keep carting out the sick ones? I mean you and your friends are all certain they will all go crazy if they can't keep working at the chicken plant. So they've been working at the chicken plant.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Coronavirus staffing shortages mean chickens will be slaughtered but not make it to market

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/04/14/peta-addresses-chicken-slaughters-amid-covid-19-staf...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

They're open. They're doing what you want everyone to do. The people are working. Like you want them to do. And they're dropping dead and shutting down. So what do you want to happen next? Keep shoveling in workers and keep carting out the sick ones? I mean you and your friends are all certain they will all go crazy if they can't keep working at the chicken plant. So they've been working at the chicken plant.

The issue most farmers are experiencing is transportation and distribution issues.  It is not a staffing issue where they are "dropping dead".. ( stop the drama ).  Having other options available and alternatives for the perishable commodities in the future is sound planning.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.