Super Contributor

Squirrels ~~ I live on the 7th Floor in a High-rise Apartment and Every Day some

squirrel sits on the ledger of my window or walks by. This has been going on now for nearly 2 weeks. Chances are that it is not the same one, but it is so funny, to see them there. I can't open the window there to give them something to eat, nor am I certain it would be smart, but they sit there like they own the place. I think now that this happens every day, they must smell the scent and are drawn to sit there. They come from my very high tree in front of the building, where recently also more birds are hanging out. First time ever at this time a year, but somehow I like it!

Magenta

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Squirrels ~~ I live on the 7th Floor in a High-rise Apartment and Every Day some

They must like you if they're coming to visit you all the time!{#emotions_dlg.laugh} I live in a regular house and I had a baby squirrel take up with me a few years ago - apparently he/she hadn't become afraid of people yet. He ended up eating nuts out of my hand, and I've got close up pictures of it - I think I was doing some kind of contortion to get the picture at the same time he was reaching for the nuts - didn't want to scare him. I miss that little rascal-don't know if he grew up or just went somewhere else!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

Re: Squirrels ~~ I live on the 7th Floor in a High-rise Apartment and Every Day some

Maybe they have found a warm spot on your ledge. How sweet. I would love to see them sitting there everyday. I'd be trying to feed them. LOL

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

That's so sweet Magenta!!

I love squirrels and feed mine (yes they're mine...LOL) every day.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

Oh, so sweet. We have lots of squirrels in our yard. I put sunflower seeds in the feeder for them and also throw out peanuts. In the summer, they become tame and will come right up to me for a peanut. They are so much fun to watch. I'm glad that you have this opportunity...especially on the 7th floor!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Super Contributor

thanks ladies, I have a big screen covering the windows on either end of my huge windows, and cannot open these w/o having a big problem.

HOWEVER, i had a tourist who was bitten by a squirrel, and had to be taken to the hospital for a tetatnus shot as often they are sick, and have rabies. If not taking the shot, one can die within 48 hpurs as the dr. explained. On my city tour, instead of listening to the info on the Vietnam Memorial, everybody is involved and taking pix of the very many squirrels are out there. I warn them, not to get to close to them, as this is something that I need to share.

Anyway, I am having fun with my one squirrel a day.

And hope you have too with yours...

Hugs,

Magenta

Esteemed Contributor

Just so people won't become so scared of squirrels, you don't die within 48 hours, symptoms don't even begin for a week, so if anyone were bitten they should get a tetanus shot right away unless they know they've had one within a certain number of years and are already protected (check with your doctor).

From WebMD:

Tetanus symptoms result from a toxin produced by tetanus bacteria. Symptoms often begin around a week after infection. But this may range from three days to three weeks. The most common symptom is a stiff jaw, which can become "locked." This is how the disease came to be called lockjaw.

If you're bitten by an animal and have no way to know if it has rabies, or if you suspect it does, there are anti-rabies treatments including a series of shots - they just need to be started within a certain period of time.

Both rabies and tetanus can be deadly, so just be cautious but don't let it keep you from enjoying our little wild friends!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

The funniest thing I ever saw was these people left their window open (I guess they were not home) and this squirrel went back and forth taking branches into the peoples kitchen!

I hope he was done by the time they got home!

Super Contributor

pqfan,

that is a truly funny story. thanks for posting it.

Magenta

Super Contributor

kitty....

this info was given to me by a dr. in the E.R. If I have a group I do have responsibility for them, and need to warn them what MAY happen, not what it could, would, or should. Thanks for the info, though.

magenta