Honored Contributor

Squirrel and photography lovers...

[ Edited ]

very patient and clever hooman   8-)

Nature photographer captures a daredevil red squirrel flying through the air after spending a YEAR coaxing the animals onto a specially-built climbing frame in his back garden

• Terry Donnelly, 50, from Formby, Merseyside, positioned four-foot wooden climbing frame in his back garden 
  • He spent hours waiting in his conservatory over a year in a challenge he dubbed 'man versus squirrel' 
  • The professional photographer lined the frame with hazelenuts in an attempt to capture the perfect shot 
  • Formby is famous for red squirrels in part thanks to the National Trust sanctuary based close to Terry's home

A nature photographer spent a year painstakingly luring squirrels closer to his conservatory to capture these spectacular leaping squirrel shots. 

Terry Donnelly, 50, from Formby, Merseyside, painstakingly positioned a handmade four-foot wooden climbing frame in his back garden, topped with hazelnuts, in his pursuit of the perfect red squirrel photo.

The professional photographer, dubbed the challenge 'man versus squirrel' after spending hours waiting in his conservatory but was rewarded with stunning images of the rare rodents flying through the air.

Terry said: 'The past year has been a real challenge - it's been man versus squirrel, but good fun too.

The committed photographer spent a year attempting to get the perfect leap of the red squirrel landing on a four-foot wooden climbing frame in his back garden in Formby, Merseyside

Ninja squirrel! The incredible shot shows the red squirrel appear in a martial arts pose in mid air as he dives to reach the hazelnuts
The squirrel with dark pricked ears and a bushy tail takes a chance by soaring to reach the hazelnut treats

'The frame only took me five minutes to put together, but getting the squirrels to trust it took a long time.

He added: 'I would set up the nuts every morning, but the second I turned my back, they'd be gone.

'Squirrels hate change, so everything had to be done very slowly.

'It's all worth it when you see the final product though. Red squirrels are such lovely creatures.

'I'm very lucky to have them visit me daily.'

Formby is famous for its red squirrel population in part thanks to the National Trust sanctuary, based close to Terry's home. 

Terry started the challenge by placing hazelnuts in an old plant pot at the bottom of his garden.

Every few days, he would move it closer to his house so the squirrels wouldn't notice the change.

Then, when they were close enough, Terry set up his homemade wooden climbing frame with food placed far apart so that the squirrels would have to leap to reach it.

Terry even got to know his two furry friends well enough to give them names based on their personalities.

Terry painstakingly positioned the handmade four-foot wooden climbing frame (pictured) in his back garden, topped with hazelnuts, in his pursuit of the perfect red squirrel photo

The stunning shot captures the rain spraying off the squirrels fur as it reaches out to land on the wooden climbing frame

He added: 'There's Jagger, named after his funky moves when he jumps.

'Then there's Bruce Lee, who looks like he's doing martial arts mid-air.'

~

@mistriTsquirrel 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Squirrel and photography lovers...

Love it !!

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

oh how fun it was to see this!  thank you @feline groovy 

Respected Contributor

Such beautiful animals.  That would be a fun job to have.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I adore these little guys....they make you happy just looking them.  What has happened to @MisTsquirrel (not correct spelling).  I always looked forward to her amazing squirrels!

Respected Contributor

Fabulous photos!  Thanks for posting.

Super Contributor

great pix @feline groovy!

Thanks for posting!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love these pictures! I hope @mistrysquirrell sees your post.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy 

So wonderful!

Some of the moves do look like SUPERMAN.

Wouldn’t it be great to see them in person?

Thank you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@feline groovy 

Love the squirrel photos...thank you for sharing...

Image result for secret squirrel emoji

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”