Trusted Contributor

Re: Spot-on truths about some compliments

Gee, as I just celebrated a birthday, I wouldn’t mind getting almost any of these compliments 😛

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@BirkiLadyBC560904-5866-4D20-9074-7FA9C777BB57.jpeg1C868CFF-608C-45A3-A9C3-916B893D3C2B.jpeg

@butterfly123  This is hilarious! For the first time in my life, I'm able to understand the different of my Grandmother and her sister!! They were born in TX. Both women ultimately married men from Northern states. My Grandpa from Maine. My Uncle from Omaha, NE. Both couples married and began their homes in Omaha, NE 1920's.  I remember both my Grandma and Aunt saying, "Bless Your Heart" . . . but my Grandma had a sincere tone and my Aunt was always snarky. She was the "pretty" sister, who loved to buy, buy, buy. My Grandma had worked hard to keep the siblings together after their mother died following childbirth.

Gram married the ambitious and kind man (my grandpa). My grandma and grandpa had an amazing daughter (my mom). My Aunt married for what she thought was money. There wasn't any! Huge disappoint. By the time she realized that, they had two sons. She was "stuck" as she put it. They rented homes most of their married life. It was kind of sad from afar; yet they appeared compatible.  Neither of those sons ever married or were particularly ambitious.

My grandparents became self-made wealthy people by the mid-1930's. During WWII, my mom had her own car and went away to college in another state. My Aunt and Uncle had not saved money for their kids educations . . . or their own retirements. In the end, it was a sad mess.  My grandmother had to help her sister financially in her old age. The "pretty one" had spent everything.    

Bless Your Heart Aunt Flo!!! <sarcasm> 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My grandmother was a beautiful woman inside and out. So grateful my grandfather saw that radiate from within! They were such a special part of my life . . . Taught me to love flower gardening, knitting, ancestry, and so much more. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Those compliments are usual comments in my family. I don't see my family for years and the first thing they comment on is my personal appearence.If they visit me, they critique my house and the way I decorate. If they don't think your husband is handsome enough, they will say something like,"I'm surprised you girls didn't pick handsome men to marry, you could have your pick of any guy in town". I just think people do not think before they speak, they just comment to comment.

Honored Contributor

I think these are called "back-handed compliments." A veiled insult is thrown in with the compliment, so it cancels out the positive statement. On the TV show Everybody Loves Raymond, his mother used to do this to his wife all the time. Lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Super Contributor

And if you really want to put a dig into the compliment...Bless your pea pickin heart or

Bless your little heart. 😀

Valued Contributor

This thread reminds me of when I was working........had to work on items for several people across the country and requests were submitted by individuals to a specific email database.  One time - in a phone meeting - I was thanked profusely by somebody who never thanked me before......turns out he wanted more runs requested. Got so I never trusted anyone who thanked me. Always turned out to be "thank you, but could you......" 

Honored Contributor

Not to be left out -

“Well, Aren’t you Sweet?”

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I agree! When I was going through a terrible time, I didn't feel strong at all....and didn't like hearing that they thought I was.
Honored Contributor

Plain old passive-aggression. I had a roommate while in college who was the worst at this....compiments to everyone.....and each one was a barb; everyone was on to her pretty quickly. I found a different roommate at semester.....
Esteemed Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

One that annoys me is when you are in a public space, grocery store & are being nice to the opposite sex, male, by offering to let them go ahead of you in the checkout line, seeing they only have a couple of items to purchase.  "Why don't you you go ahead of me".  They shoot back with something about having a girlfriend? WHAT? I wasn't flirting! In fact 99.9% of time I could care less. I offer back when I'm in a fiesty mood: "Don't flatter yourself". Otherwise I just keep quiet. Really, some men think they are so it.

I have done that many times over the years, always tell them they have only a few items, go ahead of me, no strange remarks other than a thank you from them. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam