Honored Contributor

Re: Spoiler Alert: Jeopardy fans

I didn't open this thread but, unfortunately, someone on another thread without a warning spoiled it. Shame on them!

I just watched it and luck was against him. First choice is the double so only 1k. Then another player hit both doubles, bet big, and got them right. To be fair, she was both fast and knowledgeable.

Still, James was a gracious loser and the first to congratulate her. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3  I read the article today and wondered if it was a hoax. Then I went on thejeopardyfan.com, and the site backed up the facts. We were sad to see him go, and some of us did think he threw the game. There seemed to be some days earlier where he seemed to step back to let the others catch up a bit. I'm hoping everything was legit so as not to take away from the winner. She was very good.

Valued Contributor

@haddon9   Just finished watching and James definitely threw this away.  When did he ever bet that small amount especially during the final round?  I also thought the ending was very strange for a person who was the second highest winner in the show's history.

Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418  Since you are a mom of 4, you realize how difficult it is to leave a 5 year old for even one night.  It is equally as hard for his wife, who is responsible for everything at home plus her job.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Final jeopardy was an easy Shakespeare especially for the winner who is a librarian. All three got it right, no surprise. 

Trusted Contributor

He definitely appears to have thrown it.  I don’t think he ever wagered that small amount of money. 

Honored Contributor

If he were going to throw the game, he would have waited until he beat Ken Jennings' monetary record, which was imminent. Besides, his ego is too big to do that, IMO. Also, why sacrifice all that additional $$$$$ he would win the longer he prevails??

And how nice that a woman beat him! 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

I agree with others here that he threw the game.  He was behind the woman that won and didn’t even bet enough to catch up to what she had before they added on her bet?  Seemed contrary to his playing style.  I wonder if he was tired of being on the show too and figured he had enough. 

Honored Contributor

i thought that he threw the game even before watching it.  After watching it, he definitely threw it.  He never bet that little for final jeopardy.  He wanted to get home to his family which I don't blame him at all. 

Honored Contributor

If he was going to throw the game I think he would have waited until he had beat Ken Jennings.  I don't understand why he bet so little at the end, because he could have won, but I don't think he intended to lose.  The woman who beat him was very good and very quick with her buzzer.

I think some of the questions he missed were just because she buzzed in first.  I liked how he congratulated her at the end.  I also loved that his daughter made Alex the "get well" card.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau