Esteemed Contributor

Thing is, people will be driving at that speed, if not faster when it isn't safe to do so, like when it is raining, or reduced visability due to fog.

That will create accidents too.

Honored Contributor

First, I don't think changing the maximum limit 5 miles, from 75 to 80 mph, is going to make a massive difference in what happens on the open road.

Secondly, I have driven cross country five times, and I can tell you that in wide open, deserted stretches of highway, people do tend to go a little faster.  

I can tell you my experience that feeling "out in the middle of nowhere" is a weird experience, especially if it's in the desert, and it's 100+ degrees!    Getting to the other side of that lonely stretch and back to civilization (and restaurants, gas stations, etc)  is desireable, especially if the highway is totally unfamiliar, not something you drive every day.  JMO

Honored Contributor

Way too fast, especially on a small-ish road as in the photo.  Maybe it would be ok on a turnpike or not so busy freeway with plenty of lanes for slower cars.  'Trouble is' that not everyone likes to drive fast, so being on a small-ish (photo) road would be somewhat dangerous for all concerned. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

No!  Too fast - I'm not fond of 65 so 80 and I'd have to stay home or find an alternate route.

Honored Contributor

Maybe the organ banks have spread their wings...and fingers.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

My question is, why do car manufacturers even have speedometers that go up to 150mph?

There is no need for anybody to ever go that fast.

I had that conversation with my brother-in-law not that long ago.

Not that I will ever find out, but I have a feeling my little Sentra would explode.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

My question is, why do car manufacturers even have speedometers that go up to 150mph?

There is no need for anybody to ever go that fast.

The fastest I've ever driven is 135 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Found this:

When people are comparison shopping, cars with higher speedometer readings appear to be sportier, and buyers favor them even though they have no intention of driving over 100. "People really want to see higher numbers," said Fawaz Baltaji, a business development manager for Yazaki North America, a large supplier of speedometers for auto companies. "It is indicative of a more powerful engine. There's a marketing pitch to it."

The article also stated most cars are not designed to go over 110mph.

It's just a marketing bit. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Maybe the organ banks have spread their wings...and fingers.

@SilleeMee

Maybe I haven't had enough coffee,

but girlie...you have to unpack that one for me.  

Can you go into detail?

Honored Contributor

Just being a little sarcastic about the speed increases and how it correlates with increased numbers in deaths. With this there will likely be more organs for donations and there is most certainly a shortage of them here. I'm a sucker for conspiracy theories.Smiley Very Happy  @sidsmom