Honored Contributor

Special times for seniors to shop -- I must be missing something

At first it sounded like a great idea. But how would I be protecting myself if I'm still going to be around others, regardless of their age? They could be sick or have been exposed or are asymptomatic.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Special times for seniors to shop -- I must be missing something

@suzyQ3 wrote:

At first it sounded like a great idea. But how would I be protecting myself if I'm still going to be around others, regardless of their age? They could be sick or have been exposed or are asymptomatic.

@suzyQ3 I was thinking the same thing. Stop & Shop is going to have early hours just for seniors (I think 6:30-7:30). What do they consider a senior, over 65, will you have to show ID at the door?  Also someone elderly could have the Coronavirus, you can just as easily get it from a senior as well as someone younger.

Trusted Contributor

It's still risky but I think it's a nice idea for people who have no one to help and don't know how to use things like online ordering. 

Honored Contributor

There are many areas , like mine, that don't have home delivery.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

There is no perfect scenario in this situation.  They are just trying to miniimize exposure.  

Super Contributor

I have either Walmart delivery or Amazon they do a great job for me either same day or door drop off. They drop it off at your door and I didn't even see anybody. Then I unpacked it and sanitized my hands throw the bags away. The prices are the same as grocery stores and you can buy multiples if you want.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, I can see that it would help, then, in the situations mentioned. Otherwise, I would think that delivery or having someone to shop for you would be better.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

https://stopandshop.com/news-and-media/article-03-13-20/

info about early opening at stop/shop

one benefit of being over 60 

Respected Contributor

You're right @suzyQ3. It doesn't seem specifically for virus containment. It might be more for general safety? And, maybe to keep the more vulnerable from waiting so long trying to enter the store. Avoiding a crowd waiting entrance would cut down some exposure. 

It seems it would mostly benefit seniors with mobility issues, or other situations making shopping more difficult. If this is the intent, it should be for the disabled, too, regardless of age. Let them all have a specific timeframe. Of course, like everything else, this would likely be manipulated and abused by some. 

The way things are now, a senior on a walker, finding the last loaf of bread, with a mixed crowd, might have it wrestled away from them, or knocked off their walker, by someone more agile Woman Surprised.  I sure wish that was a joke.  

Honored Contributor

In my area Walmart's pickup and delivery services are booked solid for a long time. I have no choice but to go there and shop.