Honored Contributor

Re: Special Announcement From Our School District Today

Every state and district seems to be trying to figure out the right thing to do for their students. I wish more of them would also consider the safety of their teachers as well.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of my daughters will be doing virtual teaching for her 2nd grader, using the material the teacher sends from her school...but added a lot more to it herself...this is what they did last semester. She converted a spare bedroom into a classroom and plans on a co-op with three other stay-at-home moms...all former teachers. They will divide up the subjects. My daughter decided it was too much work to pull together resources and lessons and sending them out to the entire neighborhood so she wants some help from some of the other moms who took but didn’t give last semester.

Respected Contributor

What's amazing to me is that the same people who insist that the reason so many kids can't read is the fault of parents who don't read to them/make them read/make them do homework etc. etc. - think that "virtual" learning is just fine.

Clearly it isn't.

Super Contributor

Isobel, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks virtual learning is "just fine."  Teachers and administrators know that it is a terrible thing for kids.  Kids learn better with teachers and peers.  Kids need adult supervision during the day.  Kids need to interact with others and play with friends.  Parents want the kids to go back to school.  Teachers want to go back to school.  We all also want everyone to be safe.  This is a lose lose situation.  There is no right answer.  Staying home and learning virtually is not the answer and neither is going back to school when the covid numbers are so high.  We need to stop picking sides and know that there is no right side to this.  

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy Good idea. This is all temporary. We can get back to normal next year. No reason to suddenlyinvite Covid into your home or into your child's immune system just because it would make some bureaucrat with no skin in the game more comfy.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Teachers are not babysitters and they are not martyrs.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Teachers are not babysitters and they are not martyrs.

@Porcelain, I've never understood why teachers and nurses are supposed to be sacrificial lambs.  They're people with the same needs as other people.  

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Trusted Contributor

This year was kinda a wash out for our kids, they will go on to the next level and many will not be ready. I can only hope they have some kind of face to face learning as a lot of children do not do well in the virtual setting and they need to go back a review what they did not learn this year. I felt sorry for the Seniors who worked so hard to graduate and then not have the walk they worked so hard to get. I think the college kids and older kids who have the basics will survive but the youngest kindergarten up are the ones I feel the worst for they will feel the effects of non classroom learning and the interaction with other kids which is so important to their growth and well being. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Deleted because I almost swore.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kcubed wrote:

Isobel, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks virtual learning is "just fine."  Teachers and administrators know that it is a terrible thing for kids.  Kids learn better with teachers and peers.  Kids need adult supervision during the day.  Kids need to interact with others and play with friends.  Parents want the kids to go back to school.  Teachers want to go back to school.  We all also want everyone to be safe.  This is a lose lose situation.  There is no right answer.  Staying home and learning virtually is not the answer and neither is going back to school when the covid numbers are so high.  We need to stop picking sides and know that there is no right side to this.  

Actually every single thing I have read from teachers all over the nation, all have said there is no way to open schools safely now with what has been given to them.

They then go on to list ideas and what is needed.

So I have never heard that teachers want to go back to school the way things are.

I have seen some crying that they are afraid to go back, they love their kids, but they do not want to risk their lives.

As one educator said-

"You can provide and education,  but you cannot provide a life."

I know there is no easy solution esp because the nation is at odds with each other and no clear directions or money relegated to where it needs to go.

That is unfortunately where we all are.

Everyone is worried about the kids if they go or stay home, what will parents do who work? what will special needs kids that need one on one or small groups do?

If it is open as before, the kids who are asymptomatic but still showing lung dammage, or going back to homes and each other, well social distancing will be pretty easy when many are knocked off one by one!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"