Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of the Lottery...

My son was speaking of this, you would have to hire security guards, and protect your love ones as well, i wish several people would win,ALOT of people.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@missy1

The actual winner is the LLC company.  That is the beauty of it.

A lottery ticket is an anonymous "bearer" instrument that can be cashed by anyone who holds it; signing the ticket gives you some protection in case it's lost or stolen. If your state gives out the names of lottery winners, your LLC name will be given out.

You are also well-advised to stay out of the public eye as long as possible, or at least until you've set up a way to protect the money.

In N.J. if lottery winners show up at a news conferences & do not want to be id'ed, their faces are covered by the huge fake check they are holding.  All are wearing gloves so you cannot tell which race they are.

Most if not all, have their LLC name on the fake check.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@missy1

The actual winner is the LLC company.  That is the beauty of it.

A lottery ticket is an anonymous "bearer" instrument that can be cashed by anyone who holds it; signing the ticket gives you some protection in case it's lost or stolen. If your state gives out the names of lottery winners, your LLC name will be given out.

You are also well-advised to stay out of the public eye as long as possible, or at least until you've set up a way to protect the money.

In N.J. if lottery winners show up at a news conferences & do not want to be id'ed, their faces are covered by the huge fake check they are holding.  All are wearing gloves so you cannot tell which race they are.

Most if not all, have their LLC name on the fake check.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-11-06/news/ct-met-anonymous-lottery-20111106_1_lottery-winne...

This talks about it. This state if you win a  lot you have to have a media conference. It doesn't say how they handle it. Do they disguise themselves? 

The couple in the article have all this money, but are not enjoying it.

Honored Contributor

If possible, it would not be announced to the media. I would have my financial advisor handle things for me.

Respected Contributor

1. Do Not come forward immediately to the Lottery Office   TAKE TIME TO SET UP A TRUST or set up an LLC .

in CT there was a winner once whose Trust representatives accepted the jackpot. the winner never revealed thier faces or names.   there was an elderly lady who won in MA i think and she set up a Trust first, not using her own name. Something like the Happy Cloud Trust.

Amazing how many come forward within days of winning without doing financial planning!

In most states you have one year to collect the winnings!  so Plan !

Of course there will be tons of Media wondering who the winner is. Meanwhile, put the ticket in the freezer in a bag marked "Veal".  or safe deposit box at the bank

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was just thinking ..... say you claim the prize in a LLC.  If you buy property the owners will be the LLC. Then someone can just check to see who lives there and figure it out. That's only if the winners stay in the same county

Honored Contributor

@missy1

How are they going to figure out if the owners are lottery winners???  Any body can set up a LLC and/or trust account.

The ONLY way one will know is if you walk right up the people living in the new house & ask, "are you lottery winner(s)?" Smiley Very Happy

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I know will not win, but I asked the question because I can only imagine what it would be like TO WIN.  Not sure I could handle it.  I am very trusting and basically I would not want the attention.  So life would not be good. The money could not buy me peace of mind.. Looking over my shoulder.. deciding whom to trust  would eat away at my reasonably happy tranquil life.  I basically have what I want... a great family, friends, nice neighborhood, comfortable home and lots of opportunities to dance and feel free and grateful for what I have 

Honored Contributor

I'm hearing the smartest course would be to claim the ticket as late as possible.  Personally I suspect if it was one winner, they would have to move and possibly change their identity.

Trusted Contributor

Why would they have to move and change their identity?