Esteemed Contributor

Re: Speaking of the Half Tuck or Knotting Your Shirt

Amazon comes through again!

Honored Contributor

Because I have a philosophy of never throwing anything away, I think I still have one of those. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I liked using them for long tops so I have always kept them I have three. You may be able to find on Amazon but I'm not sure what you would look for. 

p.s.  Hooray looks like Amazon does 

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl 

Your post brought back memories!

Yes - more than 20 years.  It was the early 90s. 

Those days I was entering  craft fairs on Long Island - embroidery, knitting, crocheting  ..... and painting t-shirts .... which was big at the time.  Not selling - just competing.  

Most of the t-shirts were oversized XL men's.... and I used the t-shirt ring whenever I wore one.

----------------------------------------------

@shaggygirl wrote:

Going back quite a few years, probably at least 20 or more at least in my neck of the woods there was a very popular little item most women bought and used.

Made of plastic (I think) were circles or squares or ovals, probably a couple of inches high or wide that had a bar right across the middle opening. We would tuck our shirt tails or a hunk of our T-shirts under the top of the circle/square/oval then pull it thru and over the middle bar then under the bottom of the circle/square oval. You could tighten it further up so you had a short tail or a long tail of your shirt hanging down from it. 

They were cute and would probably be useful today for us shorties that like a shirt or T-shirt but find it to be too long because these things would not only create a little tail hanging down but would also make it easy to gather up excessively long material all the way around. Actually they sort of naturally pulled it up somewhat all the way around.I used to pull them (the item) up almost waist high creating a much shorter T-shirt.

You could find them in solid colors or with prints. Wish I had saved mine.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Because I have a philosophy of never throwing anything away, I think I still have one of those. 

@Kachina624 - LOL! Me too! I have a wood one and a black or navy one in my top dresser drawer. I should give them to DD!  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I have two of them that I bought a long time ago at craft shops in Branson, MO.  One is wooden in the shape of a watermelon slice and the other one is a silver plastic shaped oval.  I see them every day as they are on our dresser.  I was just thinking the other day how I would like to see them in a store again.  

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

When I read your post I immediately thought of my scarf clips, because they seemed to be exactly what you were describing.  And then a poster posted a photo.  My scarf clips are more oval in shape and there are videos on-line on how to feed your scarf thru.

Didn't dawn on me to try with a tee as I'm not so much into that look these days, but you can certainly still find some to order online if you choose to.

I've also heard the half tuck called the sloppy tuck.  Calling it the sloppy tuck helps me somehow because I never mastered the half tuck.  Sloppy tuck seems so much easier, just quickly give your shirt a tuck and be done with it!! 

I am still old school though.  I actually prefer a full tuck.  To me it just looks neater and less haphazard.  Woman Wink

When I see that half tuck, it reminds me of school days with quick bathroom breaks between classes and not enough time to do a proper tuck. Anytime a half tuck was seen, everyone knew where the student had just been.

Honored Contributor

Wow.  Never heard o or seen anything like that.

Trusted Contributor

@shaggygirl 

OMG, I had those t-shirt buckles in every color and style back in college (late 80s). I even wore 2 different t-shirts layered, rolled up the sleeves to see the color of the shirt underneath, and added the buckle at the bottom. Let's not forget the big shoulder pads "ala Dynasty". I was stylin' back then. 😁😁😁

Trusted Contributor

I didn’t use those but I remember them, @shaggygirl !