Super Contributor

My niece and her husband live in Missouri, both college Professors. My niece's daughter was going to a public school in Springfield where they live, for the past 3 years. Last year mid year through the semester, her daughter started really acting out and they found out that she had been getting threats from other kids at the school. She was at the top of her class academically and had won many academic awards, she was also winning awards for her art and some kids could not stand that, thought she was being snobbish, when she was just scared. She was 12 at the time.

When she came home with her clothes ripped and loser written on her forehead with a pen that could not easily be washed out, her parents put her in a private all girls catholic school. She loves it, she is doing well academically and they have a wonderful art program. The downside she told me is she has to wear a uniform and the upside is there isn't full time policemen guarding the school during the day.

I ask you this. How safe do you think a teacher or a student must feel to know that there is a need for a full time policeman or two to be at a grade school all day every school day.