Esteemed Contributor

Re: Speaking of leaving your purses unattended... yesterday we were

@PamfromCT wrote:

@NAES1 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

p.s.  'They say' that the top shelf of a shopping cart (where kids sit) is not the cleanest place on earth.  Just sayin'.....

_________

@ROMARY

...."and that's the truth, if you ever see or think about cleaning the seat"

**TRUE STORY:

Several years ago, (maybe over 5+, I had only a few items to buy so I walked through the front door of a very large-well known food chain, wondering what are so many customers looking at?

Then I saw a ( I suppose the parents) couple wheeling a baby, about 3 years old, in the baby seat. 

This baby had absolutely nothing on.     To go further, the little girl had raw open boils all over its body...seeping.   I did follow them until they were in the check out lane, then went and sat in my car-waiting.

I took their license plate # down, called 911 and told the dispatcher I was following them and trying to give out the directions they were headed in.

This was in the summer around 9:30+pm. I did my best... and to this day have no idea why someone in the store did not TAKE ACTION?!!

From that time on, I carry an 1-800 # for child services and always have a cell phone ready for any one in danger.

No one will ever know if the seeping sore/boils were staph, but my guess would be -YES.

I had to go back and report this to a manager from the back-told the entire story and hopefully they followed good advice to dis-infect every cart.

I would have no idea which CART it would have been.

Yes, I possibly could approach them and make or try to keep them, but I had no idea what would have happened in a crowd of people? OR THEM?

By calling 911 and having the license number given out (it was very dark) was the best bet I had for someone to trace that # out and go to the home. 

Never put your -anything- down where a baby sits, from a food shopping cart. 

NAES

NAES, How wonderful and caring you were to get involved in this situation.  So many people either do not want to get involved, or cannot think fast enough to know what to do.  What a terrible situation for a helpless child to be in.  I am sure your phone call made a difference, likely in ways you will never know in this life.  Who would ever treat a child in this manner?  And then you further alerted the store about sanitizing the cart.  I give you credit for this, also.  Boy, you have my nomination for a good citizen award!

@PamfomCT

Hi Pam.....so glad you are up and apparently a tad bit more alert today, since we have turned the furnance on to DRY ou the dampness from several days of rain, and then the temperature swinging very low overnight. I saw "IT" coming!!!

According to this horrific story, yes I would be a whistle blower from my many years being a medical instructor and being trained in sometng that most professionals will never consider: that working in isolated rooms, as an nfectious professional. I was offered this position by some of the top surgical staff leaders several years ago. That would my reason to make sure all livng bacteria was eradicated from that shopping cart.

Can you imagne how many people definitely were ducks in a row to be set up aquiring these nasty long term dangerous culprits?!

Not as present, but at least 5 years ago, I worked long side with a child service supervisor (not a nurse) and what I had seen happening to children, in their homes, made me sick to my mind set of actual dirty people living in a 3rd world enviroment, from either counties ,or withn the heavily populated/over crowded families havng one baby after another. Of course there was never a father in the Mix.

I learned a lot just from that experience of approx. 5 months. 

Incidentally, these areas were in some OF the very high taxed districts, whch confused me quite immensely. 

This is the new reflection of what society's children have learned from example. I cannot give an actual ratio number, but I would surmise that 80% of grandparents  ARE the total care givers, now, to their children's children. Why? Because the M O M wants to either get away and work; it so much easier to work OUT than be at home all day with children, their own children, also the MOM has to have a new car, new clothes, the latest out,  being with the 'girls' after work...et cetra.  I EXCLUDE the widows and the women who are divorced from dead beat 'dads'....

They, the moms save  a lot of money by havng no childcare facilty to pay, so those * good old grandparents are raisng another family -almost- 8-10 hours per day..all over again*. 

This why I wrote about as I said- Take  Action. 

If the mother/or/the father would stay at home taking care of their child/children, then there would be no need to spend $$s having need for a new car to get to work, no more money spent on luches, or an outfit/uniforms ++ whatever else they need. It all goes back to how they, the 20- to 40 years old 'kids' were raised. They view grandparents as their way out. They never grew up, and of course these mlms always have their own set of rules fr the grands to abide by. If I had not witnessed this myself, there would be no stry, here, to tell. 

I was on a thread about 8 months ago, similar to this, and one woman, out of over 40 posters asked: why have chldren if you are not willing to care for them, yourself.

Maybe this mom parent, in the store would have been doing her child a great servce if the 3 year old did have childcare. It's real, it is becomning worse. There are many people that should never contemplate the idea. But definitely no other way, as in ridding away would EVER be acceptable!!!

What has happened to dignity in today's parentng? If you do not see it, then your eyes are tightly closed to horrific problems-yet to come. 

This has become part of my work resonsilbility, so, yes, I do care. Thank you for reading. You are a postive 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lots of not-so-nice people doing lots of not-so-nice things now-a-days, all around.  Even in broad daylight (home robberies, etc.), not even caring that neighbors are around, gardening out front, people repairing their roofs right across the street, etc.  They just don't seem to care if they are caught, carrying out someone's TV, items, etc.  Doesn't make much sense to me.   Even robbers aren't thinking straight now-a-days............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

p.s.  Lots of grandmas (oh, and a couple of grandpas, too) around here, taking care of their grandchildren.  Not rushing around, but walking them and/or strolling them around the block.  One thing I know for sure, the non-rushed type of life that these babies/toddlers have is so beneficial for/to them.  I've mentioned this before: It's so rewarding to see a toddler wave and/or blow kisses to me from a very long distance away (without even being told to)...........Things that their grandmoms have taught them because the slow time was there to enjoy (no rushing in and out of cars, etc.).  Just strolling around, stopping to 'smell the flowers'.  Warms my heart.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Lots of not-so-nice people doing lots of not-so-nice things now-a-days, all around.  Even in broad daylight (home robberies, etc.), not even caring that neighbors are around, gardening out front, people repairing their roofs right across the street, etc.  They just don't seem to care if they are caught, carrying out someone's TV, items, etc.  Doesn't make much sense to me. 

I do not know where you live but maybe you should consider moving.

I do not know of any robberies in our neighborhood of over 20 years.

Honored Contributor

Muttmom:  You are SO LUCKY!  Nice neighborhood, fairly expensive (compared with the rest of the country). Happened again just a couple of weeks ago.  Also LOTS of door to door scams.  One distracts, while the other one goes around to another door, taking jewelry.  Posing as city or utility workers. Sometimes the resident doesn't realize that jewelry was stolen until a few hours or so later. We've been advised to not open our doors, to call the police, so they can be verified by police to be legitimate.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @NAES1,  Thank you for your post.  It's such a sad story, to think of what is like, and will be like, for some little ones.  I do appreciate your perspective gained from so many years of experience.  Some wisdom and common sense would go a long way to help solve these problems.  

I also appreciate your your experience with infection transmittal.  You bring an awareness that some of us need to focus on.  I am not at all scientific, but I highly respect anyone who is.  My daughter works in research, and I have tried to learn from her.  You continue to do good things.  Keep up your good works.

If you have a chance, let me know what thread(s) you and other lovelies are on.  Now that some stuff on my end is in balance once more, I can concentrate.  Now the storms have passed on several fronts, and there's sunshine again.  Too much to get into, too much I want to forget.