Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of leaving your purses unattended... yesterday we were

@Suziepeach

Bravo!

Smiley respect 040.GIF
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Good deed done, for sure.

I am ALWAYS warning my husband about the likelihood of pick-pocketers, as he just shoves the thing (the wallet - Lee Sands, BTW) in his back pocket and then doesn't pay attention.  I demand that he use the debit card for the day he needs it only, and that we have a specific spot in the house where it is stored, when not in use.

I don't leave my purse unattended, ever.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

She was fortunate that you were the one who came along.  I don't understand women who have a hard time holding onto their handbags.  I just don't get it.  My bag holds my life so I'd be pretty dumb to lose track of it or to carelessly place it somewhere where anyone walking by couple reach into or walk off with it.  Even when I was a mom with two young ones; I always took care with my handbags.  I was always a big bag girl, back then it was shoulder bags and in stores I would loop it around and make a cross body bag out of it.  I certainly never in my life placed my bag in that kiddie seat of the shopping cart while I shopped.  I see women do that all the time.  They totally forget they even have a handbag....lol   They get absorbed in label reading and their bags sit their wide open for anyone to take or dip their hand into.  Once I saw something really funny in the grocery store.  Two women browsing the canned good aisle, one had a little fella in her shopping chart.  So, while his Mum was reading labels, checking prices etc.  He reached into the handbag sitting in the next cart and started taking things out and throwing them on the floor.  He was having quite a good time for hisself and neither woman was paying any attention.  One wasn't watching her child, the other wasn't watching her handbag.  My hubby was the one who alerted them to what the boy was doing.  Anyone could have come along and scooped the wallet up off the floor and kept on going.   

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@orangegarnet wrote:

When you think about it, that's pathetic to have to tell people to do something sensible huh? 

It's much more pathetic that things have to be kept out of sight.  If there weren't criminals willing to steal, we could leave packlages in full view in the car.  It's not the victim's fault!

Well, there are criminals around and there always have been.  So if someone is victimized because she or he was careless or clueless.....it is the victim's fault.  If I leave a $20 bill on my desk and go to a 2 hour meeting......if that $20 bill is gone when I get back, that's on me. 

Respected Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

I have a carabiner clip on my purse and clip it to the cart so if someone tried to grabbed it they would not get it out of the cart quickly. I also have tiny carabiner clips that I put on the zippers to slow down anyone who might try to open a zipper to get to my wallet. I never leave my purse unattended, but even a turn of the head to say "Hi" to a neighbor or while I am bagging can be an opportunity for a thief. At least if they grab it – it won’t leave the cart and will alert to a struggle. Nothing is foolproof, even if you are wearing it they can just cut the straps, grab & run if they really want it. All we can do is make it less of an opportunity to be successful.

I do the same thing only I use a dog leash type that is on my key chain.

I can't see how I can use clips on the zippers. 

Honored Contributor

I witnessed another 'good samaritan' deed yesterday at Sam's!

As I was waiting for my receipt to be checked as I was leaving, a woman came in and handed the employee a bank bag that was obviously not empty, that she had found in a shopping cart in the parking lot.

Bravo!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

As I was waiting for my receipt to be checked as I was leaving, a woman came in and handed the employee a bank bag that was obviously not empty, that she had found in a shopping cart in the parking lot.

Bravo!

And today that employee is in the Bahamas sunning him or herself and relaxing on the beach. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Bravo!

And today that employee is in the Bahamas sunning him or herself and relaxing on the beach. Smiley Happy

Nah....the security guy took it to the CS desk, so by your theory, the security guy AND the CS girl are both sunning themselves in the Bahamas!

Honored Contributor

I really don't think it's surprising that women walk away from their purses ....  heck, it's pretty routine to see in the news that a mother forgot to take her kid from the car ... or shopping cart ... or whatever.  

If you can be so distracted as to forget your own KID ....  forgetting a handbag is no big deal!

Honored Contributor

No sense in inviting trouble.........p.s.  I'm often suggesting 'this and that', but often times, some folks just don't want to listen.  Until something happens.  I'm the one who keeps telling/suggesting folks with night-time/bedtime/overnight allergies to please use unscented liquid laundry detergents on their pillowcases and sheets.  But 'low and behold' it takes them years (underline years) to figure it all out..........(rolling eyes).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).