Esteemed Contributor

Re: Speaking of leaving your purses unattended... yesterday we were

@151949 wrote:

@Montana wrote:

While grocery shopping, I saw an empty cart with a purse in the top. There was no one nearby, so it seemed someone just forgot It.  They must have really been distracted.

I turned it in to Customer Service. 

I'm sure when that person turned back around and that purse was gone they about had a heart attack. Why would you take it?

Read carefully - there was NO ONE NEARBY.  Montana was preventing a possible theft and doing the forgetful party a favor.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Montana wrote:

While grocery shopping, I saw an empty cart with a purse in the top. There was no one nearby, so it seemed someone just forgot It.  They must have really been distracted.

I turned it in to Customer Service. 

I'm sure when that person turned back around and that purse was gone they about had a heart attack. Why would you take it?

She already said no one was around.  What should she have done?  Left it there to perhaps be stolen by someone?  And if the person "had a heart attack" thinking someone had stolen her unattended purse, it would be nothing to what she'd have felt if someone really did steal it.

I was in our local supermarket one time and there was a cart with a purse sitting right in the child seat.  Not a soul in sight.  I waited for ten minutes until the woman whose cart it was came back and even then I walked right next to her cart and she still didn't react!  She was totally oblivious.

Like some have said "it will never happen to me".  Right?  Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

All I can say is that as I aged, I got smarter, in a few things anyway.

I keep a small cross-body bag in my car at all times.  Great for shopping in large stores with shopping carts, where you can run in for a few items and then end up doing more shopping than expected.  All you need will fit into a cross-body while you are in the store.  I lock my larger handbag in my trunk.  It works for me.

Honored Contributor

Yes, Pam!..........Making sure we lock our larger bags in our trunk before we leave our homes.  (Not in the store parking lot, as I've seen a few folks do.)  Nothing better than cross body handbags while shopping.  We just don't need tons of stuff (books, and whatever else) while we shop! (lol and rolling eyes)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I stopped carrying a handbag approximately 7 years ago. What I do have on my person is my driver's license, heathcare card, 1 credit card/or/$100.00 with me. Those stay securely in the trunk of the car.

What I do use, if shopping is 1 credit card which is in a pouch that has tiny strings that wrap around my wrist, then I can easily fold that(without the strings) under my arm.

Most of the stores where I shop has my phone#, so if there is a problem, (which has never happened) they, the store will HOLD whatever I have purchased, then I will pay on  line when I get back home. My handbag days are almost obsolete. 

I have very little faith in being secured or protected anymore. 99% of my shopping is an on line order(s).

I do carry a pepper spray. "Have mercy on the person who tries to attack me or steals from me"!

Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

I keep a small cross-body bag in my car at all times.  Great for shopping in large stores with shopping carts, where you can run in for a few items and then end up doing more shopping than expected.  All you need will fit into a cross-body while you are in the store.  I lock my larger handbag in my trunk.  It works for me.

@PamfromCT

Hello Pam, it's great seeing your name. Haaha, I wrote my teen tiny carrying bag 'POST'... a few posts down from you. 

I have more things to tend with than lugging a huge TOTE BAG around -as though I was traveling across country, as with having a baby along.  

I have to admit that 8-10 years ago, I did carry a larger handbag but I never once use much, from them...(maybe a lipstick) unless a touch up small cloth, if that, in the hot summer. 

It's just another time -a different culture of people, and the country is not the way I remember as a teen or young -a very young woman; when a handbag was what most of us 'thought' was the center of our outfit. 

My motto now is: get there- get back safely and enjoy the comforts of home. 

Gee, I did miss you. Are you doing okay? I am feeling rather good for someone so cold, with thin see through socks on.

I HAVE to buy a new pair of slip on house shoes; the fuzzy thick ones are just a little too hot- `those are for 20 degree weather.

I have been missing dooBdoo but those migraine headaches trouble her,so, as it would anyone.

She is such a fine lovely lady~

It has been a slower day and I do believe I am turning the portable heater on in the bedroom OR either sleep in a thick terry cloth robe.  JUST TURNED THE HEATER ON!!!

ALERT: Temperature change!

I am ready to have that famous NAES' Winter Bed ready for when the weather becomes so cold, you only venture out when the birds come close by.... for their feeding.

Sending my best Heartto you with hugs and sincere thoughts of cheery blessed memories.

I might be one of those memories *(just rolling my eyes as I laugh)*............woo hoo~

NAES

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

p.s.  'They say' that the top shelf of a shopping cart (where kids sit) is not the cleanest place on earth.  Just sayin'.....

_________

@ROMARY

...."and that's the truth, if you ever see or think about cleaning the seat"

**TRUE STORY:

Several years ago, (maybe over 5+, I had only a few items to buy so I walked through the front door of a very large-well known food chain, wondering what are so many customers looking at?

Then I saw a ( I suppose the parents) couple wheeling a baby, about 3 years old, in the baby seat. 

This baby had absolutely nothing on.     To go further, the little girl had raw open boils all over its body...seeping.   I did follow them until they were in the check out lane, then went and sat in my car-waiting.

I took their license plate # down, called 911 and told the dispatcher I was following them and trying to give out the directions they were headed in.

This was in the summer around 9:30+pm. I did my best... and to this day have no idea why someone in the store did not TAKE ACTION?!!

From that time on, I carry an 1-800 # for child services and always have a cell phone ready for any one in danger.

No one will ever know if the seeping sore/boils were staph, but my guess would be -YES.

I had to go back and report this to a manager from the back-told the entire story and hopefully they followed good advice to dis-infect every cart.

I would have no idea which CART it would have been.

Yes, I possibly could approach them and make or try to keep them, but I had no idea what would have happened in a crowd of people? OR THEM?

By calling 911 and having the license number given out (it was very dark) was the best bet I had for someone to trace that # out and go to the home. 

Never put your -anything- down where a baby sits, from a food shopping cart. 

NAES

Esteemed Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

p.s.  'They say' that the top shelf of a shopping cart (where kids sit) is not the cleanest place on earth.  Just sayin'.....

_________

@ROMARY

...."and that's the truth, if you ever see or think about cleaning the seat"

**TRUE STORY:

Several years ago, (maybe over 5+, I had only a few items to buy so I walked through the front door of a very large-well known food chain, wondering what are so many customers looking at?

Then I saw a ( I suppose the parents) couple wheeling a baby, about 3 years old, in the baby seat. 

This baby had absolutely nothing on.     To go further, the little girl had raw open boils all over its body...seeping.   I did follow them until they were in the check out lane, then went and sat in my car-waiting.

I took their license plate # down, called 911 and told the dispatcher I was following them and trying to give out the directions they were headed in.

This was in the summer around 9:30+pm. I did my best... and to this day have no idea why someone in the store did not TAKE ACTION?!!

From that time on, I carry an 1-800 # for child services and always have a cell phone ready for any one in danger.

No one will ever know if the seeping sore/boils were staph, but my guess would be -YES.

I had to go back and report this to a manager from the back-told the entire story and hopefully they followed good advice to dis-infect every cart.

I would have no idea which CART it would have been.

Yes, I possibly could approach them and make or try to keep them, but I had no idea what would have happened in a crowd of people? OR THEM?

By calling 911 and having the license number given out (it was very dark) was the best bet I had for someone to trace that # out and go to the home. 

Never put your -anything- down where a baby sits, from a food shopping cart. 

NAES

NAES, How wonderful and caring you were to get involved in this situation.  So many people either do not want to get involved, or cannot think fast enough to know what to do.  What a terrible situation for a helpless child to be in.  I am sure your phone call made a difference, likely in ways you will never know in this life.  Who would ever treat a child in this manner?  And then you further alerted the store about sanitizing the cart.  I give you credit for this, also.  Boy, you have my nomination for a good citizen award!

Esteemed Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

@PamfromCT

Hello Pam, it's great seeing your name. Haaha, I wrote my teen tiny carrying bag 'POST'... a few posts down from you. 

I have more things to tend with than lugging a huge TOTE BAG around -as though I was traveling across country, as with having a baby along.  

I have to admit that 8-10 years ago, I did carry a larger handbag but I never once use much, from them...(maybe a lipstick) unless a touch up small cloth, if that, in the hot summer. 

It's just another time -a different culture of people, and the country is not the way I remember as a teen or young -a very young woman; when a handbag was what most of us 'thought' was the center of our outfit. 

My motto now is: get there- get back safely and enjoy the comforts of home. 

Gee, I did miss you. Are you doing okay? I am feeling rather good for someone so cold, with thin see through socks on.

I HAVE to buy a new pair of slip on house shoes; the fuzzy thick ones are just a little too hot- `those are for 20 degree weather.

I have been missing dooBdoo but those migraine headaches trouble her,so, as it would anyone.

She is such a fine lovely lady~

It has been a slower day and I do believe I am turning the portable heater on in the bedroom OR either sleep in a thick terry cloth robe.  JUST TURNED THE HEATER ON!!!

ALERT: Temperature change!

I am ready to have that famous NAES' Winter Bed ready for when the weather becomes so cold, you only venture out when the birds come close by.... for their feeding.

Sending my best Heartto you with hugs and sincere thoughts of cheery blessed memories.

I might be one of those memories *(just rolling my eyes as I laugh)*............woo hoo~

NAES

@Hello my friend @NAES1!  No, I haven't forgotten about you, nor would I ever.  Although it might not seem that way, and I apologize for that.  I have gotten confused about which thread I should go on to keep up with you and the other lovelies and then just didn't pursue it.  So sorry, but sometimes this stuff just confounds my brain.  I'm OK and hope you are.  Yes, it's getting nippy out!  Still pretty with the leaves and all, but we all know what is coming.  It's time for winter woollies and all.  And we can finally go back to feeding the birds now.  We have to remove this stuff during the warmer weather here because it attracts the Bears. Really.  The suburban CT bears.  But they don't bother anyone.

Please leave me a message about which thread to use.  I will make a big note of it and stay in touch.  Thanks for your sweet and caring message, my little friend.

Pam

Honored Contributor

'What all' (very heavy items) do some women carry in your large handbags?  I've helped several friends, etc. move their bags over, or carried their handbags during shopping ventures.............A few times I asked if they were carrying a few bricks, lol...........  I'm serious.  'What all' is in (some of) your handbags?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).