Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of leaving handbags unattended.....

@Smoky wrote:

How stupid to leave your bag wide open in the kiddie seat, turn your back & pay no attention?  If we notice this then you sure as heck know the lurkers/thieves will surely take advantage of it.  Just like people that stupidly leave their personal belongings in an unlocked vehicle in their driveway at night- things like keys, cell, wallet, what on earth and then they complain when things get stolen.  You don't have to be terrified all the time, just be alert.  Our old world has changed and if they can steal and sell, why get a job?  

As to purses/handbags, it's been crossbody for me since the 70s.  I love not having to hold a bag and yet have it right at my fingertips.  (Sometimes I do get annoyed when QVC pretends it "invented" crossbodies just recently.  They rarely acknowledge the history of much of anything.)

As to the car thing, I always put things into the trunk BEFORE I go somewhere so not only are the items hidden from view, but no one sees me put anything into my trunk and walk away from the car.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

If I sort of trust the area I leave my bag in the trunk under all sorts of bags and junk so as to hide it.  Not that this would deter anyone  wishing to take over  my  possessions.

When I have an active place to go I  wear my bags in some fashion across my body or attach to my belt.  

Mostly I carry a small cosmetic pouch, and essential items such as ID and one credit card.  (short trips).  Long trips I carry more and am always watching it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I'm always amazed at the number of women (sorry, but most of them are younger women) who leave their purses in the grocery cart!

@Annabellethecat66, I leave mine in the seat of the grocery cart but I use those seatbelts to lock it in by weaving the end of it through my purse handles.  Even then, I normally have my hands on the handles on  the cart handle when pushing it and I never leave it unattended to walk a few steps away to look at something.  

I have seen people leave their purse unattended while they walk away to look at something.  

I put my purse on the "seat", but one hand is always on it.

I'm the same way.  I put mine in the seat but I always have the straps over one hand/wrist.  If I can't reach what I need while still having the straps in my hand, then I pick the purse up to grab what I need. 

As far as the salon goes, I leave my purse at her station.  Her station is right by the shampoo bowls at the back of the salon.  Someone would have to run through the entire salon to grab my purse and then run all the way back out.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I'm always amazed at the number of women (sorry, but most of them are younger women) who leave their purses in the grocery cart!

@Annabellethecat66, I leave mine in the seat of the grocery cart but I use those seatbelts to lock it in by weaving the end of it through my purse handles.  Even then, I normally have my hands on the handles on  the cart handle when pushing it and I never leave it unattended to walk a few steps away to look at something.  

I have seen people leave their purse unattended while they walk away to look at something.  

I put my purse on the "seat", but one hand is always on it.

I'm the same way.  I put mine in the seat but I always have the straps over one hand/wrist.  If I can't reach what I need while still having the straps in my hand, then I pick the purse up to grab what I need. 

As far as the salon goes, I leave my purse at her station.  Her station is right by the shampoo bowls at the back of the salon.  Someone would have to run through the entire salon to grab my purse and then run all the way back out.  

I'm not trying to belabor the point, honest, but they showed salon surveillance cameras demonstrating exactly that, believe it or not - shampoo area, back of salon. The brazen-ness was a shock.  I wished someone had been able to stick a leg out somewhere so the person would have gone flat on their face at full-tilt, but sadly, they got away with it. Creepy!

I realize it hasn't happened everywhere generally and many salons themselves are unaware it ever happened. I get unhappy you-think-we're-thieves looks from stylists occasionally, but to me it's a small thing to keep my bag safe.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all