Esteemed Contributor

Re: Speaking of keyless cars

OK, I'm going to be the odd man out here.  I had a keyless Lexus for 9 years and now a keyless Toyota Rav 4 for two years.  Absolutely no problems getting used to the keyless set up, and I'm a total doofas when it comes to cars and how they work.  The one warning I'd give is to buy an extra key fob when you buy the car.  It's much cheaper to buy it at that time rather than later if you should lose your key chain with the fob on it.  In that case they have to reprogram the car's computer system to match the new key fob and it costs hundreds of dollars, the price varying by brand. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

Dealership just called, $650 just to diagnose. My husband is going over there now. Said they were crazy. 

That’s highway robbery!! If that’s true, I hope the diagnostic charges goes toward the repair.

Esteemed Contributor

@OKPrincess, I agree with you. Haven’t heard from husband yet. I hope he gets clarification of the $650

Respected Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

Dealership just called, $650 just to diagnose. My husband is going over there now. Said they were crazy. 

I am so sorry!

I agree with your husband.  They're not doing surgery on your car, probably just plugging it into a computer and doing some re-creation test drives.

If that car starts and can be put into gear, I'd bring it home and look elsewhere.

My opinion is your situation this morning had nothing to do with your car's present condition.  It was going to happen eventually.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny, I agree with you, just big coincidence. I’m just glad it happened in front of my home and not on the expressway 

Respected Contributor

@qvcfreak

This is only me, but I would start googling for any technical bulletins issued for your vehicle.  Manufacturers issues technical bulletins to the dealers.  These are not recalls, but notification to the dealer of shall we say "issues" that have been occurring.  Sometimes they are easy to find, sometimes not.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny, I’m going to do that as my husband said manager won’t be in until Thursday. 

Honored Contributor

$650 to diagnose?

All they do is hook it up to a machine.

My car charger burned up in my car and I took it in to Toyota to put it on the machine, I wasn't sure if there was a problem with the outlet or something behind the dash - $50!

2015 Rav4

Esteemed Contributor

@software, apparently they already hooked it up and it gave a reading that’s not recognizing certain fuses. The $650 one is supposed to tell them which fuses. 

I guess long long are the days a mechanic could tell you what’s wrong just by listening to the way the car turned on and what it was doing. 

I hope Thursday my husband gets to talk to manager and gets some answers. 

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my gosh. I did something so stupid yesterday with my car. I bought a new Buick Encore in April. I am still learning things about it, but yesterday I can't believe I did what I did. We were in a parking garage, and I was trying to get it situated equal distance on each side of the lines so that people wouldn't hit my car door with theirs. My friend kept telling me to back out again and move to the left. So I did and after three tries, I jumped out of the car, locked it, and headed for Pottery Barn. After an hour or so we came back to the car, and I noticed the lights were on, but it was still locked. When I opened the door and got in, I realized that the very quiet engine was still running and had been since we left the parking garage. I guess I was distracted by trying to park correctly, and when I got out, I had the fob, and reverted to my old habits with a keyed car. I didn't hit the button to turn the car off. I'm an idiot. I need to get my manual out again. I am kind of surprised the car didn't honk at me when I locked it.