Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of car buying. Care to share a thought or 2?

[ Edited ]

I was in the same place as you years ago.

re the Car Buying Process

I'm not a fan either.  But depending on where you live, you can use the Costco car buying option where there is no negotiation or go to Carmax where there is no negotiation.

I've used both and am happy with all of my purchases.

re New vs Old

Right now is a great time to buy a 2018 with about 500 miles on it from a dealer or Carmax.  This is what I did in August 2017.  My car has 700 miles on it and it came with a 7 year warranty because it was Certified Used.   I got a brand new car with a few thousand off because it was used.  I used the Costco car buying option and I get all the dealer throw-ins for free oil changes etc.

re What to buy

For me, I like to have my car repaired at the dealership.  I want manufacturer trained people fixing my car and using manufacturer made parts.  This is important to me.  I've gone the generic repair shop route with repair parts and it ended up costing me more in time and money and repeat repairs because they didn't know how to fix something the first time.  I don't have that issue with the dealership.  It's fixed, it's fixed right and it's fixed right the first time.

Because it is only me and I only have one car, and I have no one who can drive me to and from work or to and from the dealership to drop my car off, I need a dealership close by that offers shuttle service.

So my options are Chevrolet, Huyndai, Nissan, Subaru, Kia and Toyota.

I work in a building with 600 people.  I drove through the lot one day and noticed Toyotas and Hondas were the primary cars there.  So I started researching Toyotas because there is no convenient Honda dealership for me.

Toyotas have a great record of keeping their value and being able to drive them for 200,000+ miles.  I love my dealership, I love the Camry (would love an Avalon, but I don't need an Avalon). 

So I go with Toyota.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I buy new because I want the warranty.  I have a small SUV and it is the best thing I've ever driven.  I can see out so much better and it is easier to get in and out.  It's so convenient to put the groceries or things I need to carry in the back!

The bells and whistles are wonderful if you have back and side looking cameras to tell you where the cars are around you and whether it is safe to backup or change lanes.  It helps so much. 

If you have cell phones, hands-free calling is wonderful.

Find a car or small SUV you like to drive and buy it!  If you get a new one, enjoy a brand new car and no repair bills for a few years. 

@Sooner

What small SUV did you purchase?  This is something I am considering and I have no clue about which ones are the most dependable and affordable.  Thaks!

FYI another that you might want to check out is the 2019 Honda HR-V - It is new for 2019 with lots of cool safety feaures and (available) AWD.. My commercial truck dealership, where I work, is also a Honda Dealership and there is a lot of buzz about this one..They tell me they will start around $21K...

Respected Contributor

I replaced my 12 year old SUV with 200k miles on it over ilthe winter. I had every intention of buying new for the warranty, but I ended up with a comparable warranty on a certified pre-owned model. Mine was a lease a turn in so it was 2 model years old with 20,000 miles on it.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35

<<Toyotas have a great record of keeping their value >>

I certainly found out that is true, after already seeing that it was true from following used car values via Consumer Reports and other sources.

.We just sold my 2007 top-of-the-line 6-cyinder Camry  XLE to Carmax for one-third  ($8,500) of what  we paid for it, while my new-car  Subaru dealer offered a measly $4,000 for it on a trade-in.. 

The Camry had only 15,000 miles on it, but was one year older than any car can be labeled by used-car dealers as "certified".  It was in excellent condition and had all the bells-and-whistles available at the time we bought it, including Bluetooth technology.

We got the Carmax offer on the Camry, waited a week before accepting it  while we decided on a new car, and actually was called by the Carmax fellow to make sure we were going to sell it to him.  I think he already had a buyer for it.

I decided to buy a Subaru Forester, and mentioned to my husband that he might drive it more than I do.  He said, no way.  He loves his Toyota Avalon.

He's on his second Avalon and absolutely loves it.  I don't blame you for naming that as a car you might like to own.

This process made me develop a new love for the local Carmax, because the Carmax in Northern Virginia had offered me an insulting price years ago for my fully tricked-out Cadillac Sedan DeVille.  We got much more money for that car at the Fitzgerald Toyota dealership in Maryland where we bought my Camry in 2007.

Car buying is always an experience.  I'm going to the bank today to deposit a very large refund check from the Subaru dealer, after my husband stayed on their case for days in his belief that we were overcharged for certain things.  

DH makes me hang my head in shame whenever he negotiates a car deal, and this time he was NOT happy.  He joins me in loving Carmax now, however.  LOL!!

Honored Contributor

Back in February we traded off my beloved Honda Accord because both of us had trouble getting out of it.  They set low and at our ages 73 & 74, we just could not get out that easy.

Our 2nd car is an SUV, we had no trouble getting in or out of that.  So for us a SUV was the way to go.  We bought a used mid-size SUV and I really like it.  This should be our last vehicle.  We did not go new because of the cost.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

My preference is to buy new and that’s what I’ve always done. I want the warranty and want to start the mileage off as close to zero as I can get. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

One idea for you - have you ever considered leasing a car?  You can purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease.  This will give you the opportunity to see if you really like the car and you know how the car was treated unlike the usual Used Car buying process.  You also have the warranty for extra piece of mind.  I realize the downside is you aren't gaining equity in it and you are paying for something you don't own.  If you don't drive a lot, its a great way 

If you just retired, after seeing my MIL and my own parents in their 70's get in and out of vehicles, a regular passenger car can be difficult to get out of.  My MIL has an Equinox which is easy for her to get in and out of.  Only you can try and decide which is best for you long term.

Just don't let a salesman try to push you into something - They will.

Honored Contributor

We always buy Suburus. They get us up the driveway in the winter. We keep our cars a long time amd as long as we are able pay cash.Living in Michigan we need all wheel drive.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

I like to buy used..Let someone else eat the depreciation..My current car I bought new, only because I my other car was totaled and I needed to move quickly..

Yes.  There is some depreciation, BUT years down the road newer cars bring more if you sell or trade them in.  It pays off to check out the numbers on how a car will hold its value.  Run the numbers on how that model holds its value before you buy a car.  It can make a HUGE difference in what the residual value might be.

Also, driving a new car is worth something to some people.  

Respected Contributor

@Tabbycat wrote:

I didn't want to hijack @nougat's thread. I found it really very interesting. 

We want to buy a car... have for several years, just can't decide what we want. I don't like the new cars with all the bells and whistles and think we should buy a 2 or 3 year old used, low mileage car or suv. This will be our last car unless something happens like an accident or the like.

We're in no rush to buy and don't look forward to the whole car buying process ... at all. That's most likely what is holding us up. We don't do much traveling and don't plan to. Retired one year ago.

DH thinks we should buy new. We will not be trading in a car. I'm keeping mine. We have the money set aside and pretty sure we have narrowed it down to a midsize Toyota, maybe Rav4 or one of their midsized cars. Something we can see out of. 

Would you buy new or used? How will it affect the cost of insurance new vs used? With gas prices on the rise, maybe a hybrid? Are they worth it? Just wondered if anyone cared to share their thoughts and experience. 

TIA ~ Heart

I'd buy new, for the warranty and especially if it's the last car you'll buy.  I, too, hate the car buying process.  My husband and I do it "the old fashion" way, we go to the dealer and haggle back and forth for a while.  We have a couple of friends who did it on line.  They all say how easy it was and they'd never buy the old way again.  You go on line to one of the sites and pick out everything you want from color to interior features and come up with a price you'll pay and if they agree, you print it up and pick up the car at the lot.  I was also considering a hybrid.  Really thought I'd go with one but after seeing the cost of the maintenance and what it costs to fix something, I changed my mind.  We are a Toyota family.  The most recent vehicle we purchased was a 2016 Highlander and I really like it, before that we had the Toyota Sienna minivan.  My husband has had 4 Tacomas and when/if he wants another truck it will be a Tundra.  I think the Rav4 is a great choice.  What I like most, especially as I age, is that you're not sitting low to the ground.  Easy in and out. I think since you have the money set aside, that's a great bargaining tool.  With my husbands last check, he went to the dealer with the check book and said I'll buy this car right now (paid in full) for "x" amount, I'll write you a check here and now.  He did a lot of research, new what he was willing to pay.  The car dealer was trying to get more money but he kept saying, "you don't understand.  I'll pay this much now and that's it.  Yes or no."  He got it.