Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of 'Thank You' notes...

30 days unless the person is really sick.

Respected Contributor

I send a hand written Thank You note within a week after I receive a gift. I have always felt like if someone thinks enough of me to send me a gift then I should be appreciative of that and let them know that I am glad that think so much of me. No one has to do anything for you and if you don't send a Thank You note then they might not bother next time. I taught my daughter this from early on and I am always having people telling me how nice it is that she is so nice and has such great manners. She sends notes out right away also and she is a thirty five year old adult.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I gifted someone through the mail and didn't hear from them after 60 days, I would ring them up and ask if they received it.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's appalling of people to accept a gift & not say thank-you!! Gifts are acts of  voluntary kindness to others!!  They by no means are mandatory.However,most forget this & expect to receive generous gifts for their various occasions!! 

Once they receive these gifts,people then act entitled to them & don't think a simple thank-you is deserved!!

I've always sent thank-you notes. That's the way I've been taught & that's the way I've taught my son!! No one owes you anything,period.If someone takes the time to give you a gift either say thank-you or refuse the gift!!

I believe that my husband & I get a lot of invitations because our generosity is known.We have recently decided to be less generous.If that leads to less invites we are fine with that!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

What do you consider the maximum length of time between gifting and some type of 'thank you'?

I give it 30 days unless there are some real extenuating circumstances.

Weddings, showers, graduations, birthdays, Christmas, I expect to send or receive a thank you within that time frame.

If someone has experienced a death, illness in the family etc, and for some reason a thank you is due, I personally don't expect one at all (due to the circumstances) or don't think anything wrong with it being much longer before it is sent.

http://emilypost.com/advice/wedding-thank-yous/

*Call Tyrone*