Respected Contributor

My Grandfather's youngest sister died of the Spanish flu.  She was a toddler.  He called it the influenza.

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

The Spanish flu was most virulent between 1918 and 1920. I don't know why but recently whenever I hear anything about the Spanish flu it strikes me that my grandmother would have been 13 when it started. My dad would have been two.

Kind of moves the Spanish flu pandemic from history to relatable.

My second brother died of it, he was 18 months old. My Dad had it but survived . They had a show on it many years back, and it showed people in NY lieing in the street dead, too many to get to.

Honored Contributor

Did they ever find a cure? Did it just leave one day, or how did it all end?

Super Contributor

My grandma was born in 1900.  She said back then people blamed it on Halley's Comet. 
Also that the flu ended quickly as it started. 

Esteemed Contributor

What I remember from reading about and seeing documentaries on the Spanish Flu is that it was thought to be under control after a few months.  People relaxed and left their quarantines.   They had parades, events with large crowds, took off their masks, etc.  There were protesters all over the country refusing to wear masks and demanding life go back to normal.   And then there was a second wave of the flu that was worst than the first and lasted much longer.  

I hope that doesn't happen again.    

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

Did they ever find a cure? Did it just leave one day, or how did it all end?

No one really knows why it went away; one theory is that it mutated into a less lethal strain (which often happens with flu). 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

As an aside, I didn't realize until recently that the Spanish Flu didn't start in Spain either.   It began in China.  

@Lipstickdiva, my research suggests that they really don't know the place of origin. There are at least three or four contenders.

@suzyQ3, I started to do a little more research and I see where they really don't know 100% where it originated.  However, 1 thing they do know is it didn't originate in Spain.  

Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

The Spanish Flu wasnt started in China.  It was started in Kansas, right here.  It was called the spanish flu eventually because Spain was the most affected.

@meem120, that's very debatable. There is a lot of information to the contrary but it is interesting reading, that's for sure. 

Honored Contributor

@January121 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

As an aside, I didn't realize until recently that the Spanish Flu didn't start in Spain either.   It began in China.  

@Lipstickdiva  .... WOW!!!!! .... the Chinese have been stabbing us in the back for a long, long time .... hopefully Karma comes to our aid so we can get even😉

@January121, it would be a very good idea for you read read the replies. It is NOT known where the Spanish flu originated. There are several countries, including our own, that are on list.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Really! Where the Spanish flu started? I am far from a historian and my primary interest right now, actually pretty much my whole life, is the present, along with maybe tomorrow.

My mother was 19-20 during that time and I heard the horror stories from her. Was her memory perfect? Were her details to me factual? Do you really think I give a **** right now?

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)