Trusted Contributor

Re: 'Spam' (meat product) Lovers Beware

I've never eaten spam, at least not voluntarily.  I've always been curious, though.  Does it taste at all like scrapple?

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

I've never eaten spam, at least not voluntarily.  I've always been curious, though.  Does it taste at all like scrapple?

@TenderMercies

it tastes MUCH better than scrapple (which IS made from lots of the pig parts...offals) to me. love scrapple fried very crispy and garnished on top of a deviled egg! it is more ham like than scrapple is.

scrapple is very popular in my part of the country.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TenderMercies wrote:

Not even a little bit.  Scrapple is our mystery food.  It doesn't taste like ham at all and it has a hint of spices.  I'm going to make some for breakfast tomorrow.  Woman Wink

Anyone ever talk to their parents or grandparents about spam?  During WWII, with meat being rationed in the states, they were glad to have Spam and it was worked into breakfast, lunch and dinner.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@TenderMercies

it tastes MUCH better than scrapple (which IS made from lots of the pig parts...offals) to me. love scrapple fried very crispy and garnished on top of a deviled egg! it is more ham like than scrapple is.

scrapple is very popular in my part of the country.

@sunshine45 I haven't had scrapple in years.  My best friend's parents lived in Delaware, and when I would go visit them with her, they would make it sliced very thin and fried until crispy.  It sounds like I may not care for Spam, as I'm not a big fan of ham.  Perhaps if I bought the low sodium version and cut it thin and fried it like scrapple it would taste good to me.

Respected Contributor

Anybody want to talk about kishka?  Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TenderMercies,

As a Spam lover, it does not look, or taste anything like scrapple.   Spam has a pure meat taste, like grinding pork chops and ham together and forming it into a square.  My family absolutely loves it fried, for sandwiches, and we also eat it with waffles, pancakes or French toast.   I am salt sensitive and buy cans of the reduced sodium Spam.     

All of the scrapple I’ve eaten had the distinct taste of mixed meat (my in-laws ground cooked pork liver in with their pork scraps), and cornmeal.   I would eat scrapple only if I was starving, and couldn’t find a can of Spam.   

Spam is not greasy; I fry in a nonstick skillet, and the meat slices leave the skillet shiny, but there is no grease to pour off or wipe away with a paper towel.    

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Anybody want to talk about kishka?  Woman LOL

@RoughDraft First we have to find out who stole it!