Honored Contributor

'Spam' (meat product) Lovers Beware

More than 220,000 pounds of Spam and other canned meat products have been recalled after pieces of metal were reportedly found inside.

Hormel Food Corp announced the recall of approximately 228,614 pounds of canned pork and chicken products, including Spam, on Saturday. 

The Nebraska-based company said the products may be contaminated with foreign matter, specifically pieces of metal, the US Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) said in a press release.

According to health officials, the canned pork and chicken products were produced on February 8 through February 10, 2018. 

The products include 12-ounce metal cans containing SPAM Classic with a 'Best By' February 2021 date, and 12-ounce metal cans containing Hormel Foods Black-Label Luncheon Loaf with a Best By February 2021 date.

On the bottom of potentially contaminated cans, consumers can find the establishment number 'EST. 199N', according to the FSIS.

Most of the items were shipped throughout the United States and to Guam, but only the Luncheon Loaf was sent to Guam. 

The problem was discovered after the company received four consumer complaints stating that metal objects were found in the canned products. FSIS was notified on Friday.

There have been reports of minor oral injuries associated with consumption of the products.

FSIS has received no additional reports of injury or illness from consumption of the items.

The agency said that anyone who may be concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider.

FSIS is concerned that some product may be in consumers' food pantries. 

Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. 

These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.

Consumers with questions about the recall can contact Consumer Response, Hormel Foods, at (800) 523-4635. 

More than 220,000 pounds of Spam and other canned meat products have been recalled after pieces of metal were reportedly found inside

Hormel Food Corp announced the recall of approximately 228,614 pounds of canned pork and chicken products, including Spam, on Saturday. Hormel Foods Black-Label Luncheon Loaf (pictured) has been recalled 

On the bottom of potentially contaminated cans, consumers can find the establishment number 'EST. 199N'

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: 'Spam' (meat product) Lovers Beware

No Spam or other canned meat products in my house. But, if you have them be sure to check the dates. 

Honored Contributor

This would happen when we have none in the pantry; my family loves fried Spam.   

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@RetRN

Me neither, but I know that Spam is very popular in Hawaii. and we do have some Hawaii posters here.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

It is very popular here (Florida) during hurricane season!  

Honored Contributor

No worries for me. I have never ate Spam.

Honored Contributor

I can't believe anyone eats that stuff.   It has very weird things in it such as pork & beef lips and other things we'd never eat if we saw them before they were processed.   I guess people don't read labels?

Respected Contributor

What's wrong with pork and beef lips?  No worse than a "rump" roast.  Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

I received an alert from our local news today saying it was confirmed none of the Spam being recalled was shipped to Hawai’i.  We’re all good, here!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

Goodness, thats awful.

Its been years since I have had spam.