Honored Contributor

Spam calls on my cell phone.

[ Edited ]

Darn it anyway! I have gotten 4 calls on my cell from a Pittsburgh area number. I usually don't answer calls If I don't recognize the # but after 4 times I gave in & answered. It was a scam and I was so mad at myself for answering it ! 

What makes me even angrier is I have a Tracfone so that call cost me money! I asked the man how would you like me to call the FBI about this call and he hung up.

It was from 412 area code but , in fact, the guy barely spoke English.

Honored Contributor

Re: Spam calls on my cell phone.

I hate this so much that I put mine on some kind of a 'private' thing where only people in my contacts list can even get through - with calls or messages.  Oh wait - I think it's called 'do not disturb' but you can make that where just people in your list, or whatever you choose, can ONLY get through to your phone.  All other calls must just dissolve in the universe because they don't even get to the phone.   Love that!  Smiley Happy

I get, however, that people who use their phone for business and such might not choose this but for somebody like me it's perfect.

Telemarketing and door-to-door marketing anger me to the nth degree.  I'm nnot asking for anything.  Just leave me the fork alone!  

Super Contributor

Put yourself in the federal do not call list. Some states have a state do not call list. My state does and when someone (or computer) calls that is soliciting I fill out a complaint to the state attorney general. That usually stops those calls.

Respected Contributor

@151949  Yes, I have a Tracfone too!   I've had the same cell number for a number of years, but since I got this Tracfone (my first smartphone), I've been getting those calls.  For me, they usually come in mimicking my own area code......they probably want me to think it's someone I know.  No dice.....luckily I don't use my phone for business, so when a call comes in that's not in my contacts, I refuse it.

I also never set up my voicemail on my cell phone, which stops them from leaving a message.  My friends just text me if they have something to say.  I even get those calls at work (we each have our own phone number there), and again, they use the same area code as my work number.  I have to answer all calls when I'm there, so it's usually a recording trying to give me a free trip or something.

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

@mistyada wrote:

Put yourself in the federal do not call list. Some states have a state do not call list. My state does and when someone (or computer) calls that is soliciting I fill out a complaint to the state attorney general. That usually stops those calls.

The do not call list is worthless!  I still got them until I got rid of my home phone.  I'm sure they'll find my cell number soon enough though!

Respected Contributor

I had a call the other day which left a voice mail that sounded like it could have been a wrong number - Linda (not my name), I need a ride tonight after all, can you pick me up at 7?

I suspect this is some form of scam.  Anyone who listened to my recording would realize I'm not "Linda" and that they had the wrong number.  I'm guessing had I called back to tell them they had the wrong number (as I might have done in the past) who knows who - or even where - I'd be calling and what charges could then ensue.

Honored Contributor

@mistyada wrote:

No, it doesn’t. Do Not Call for cell #s is wonky at best. In addition, most spam calls these days are spoofed, robo calls, or from outside the country. Nothing works on those calls.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer  Good catch!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I don’t pick up calls from unfamiliar area codes. Once the call has gone through and they have hung up, I do my best to check the # online to see if it’s been reported as spam. If it has, I just block the number. It doesn’t help a lot in the long run because robo-dialing changes the “from” number every day. I get calls from my old area code and neighborhood every other day. It’ll be (example) 555-645-1234 one day, I block it and the next time it’ll be 555-645-1235, the next time after that 1236, etc. It’s neverending. There’s very little anyone can do, honestly, except keep your phone turned OFF unless you’re using it or expecting a call. I never do that, but a lot of people who don’t use their phones much do it.

You’ll also get calls (and emails too) from “yourself”, or a call that appears to be local but isn’t. It’s just a fact of life now. It’s got nothing to do with the carrier or who sold you the phone, and there’s very little to be done except block the calls after the fact - and don’t pick up when you get a call unless you recognize the number.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

We get robo-calls on our cell phones that show our Area Code and a local 1st 3 digits of the phone number.  When we answer, it's a robo-call and we just hang up.  It IS annoying, but there's little you can do because the scammers have figured out a way to make the call look like it's a local call.