Respected Contributor

Re: Spam calls increasing this month?

I have nomorobo and also had it put on my parents phone.  There are numerous calls that ring once and then are gone.  Every time I hear the "one ring" calls, I know that nomorobo is working.  I used to run to the phone thinking that it was an important call only to get someone telemarketing solar for my home. But now, I just wait until it rings at least twice before answering.  There are still a few calls that get through, but nearly all of those annoying calls are gone.

And now they show the call is from the same area code, just to make you think that they aren't some telemarketing firm.

If you have the option to sign up for nomorobo (it's free), it's well worth it.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

I have NoMoRobo but the spammers have found a way around their alogorithms. Now, I get calls that are sppofed from my own area.

Respected Contributor

I'm getting more lately too. I don't answer but they leave voice mail, and they change their numbers as quickly as I can delete them. Grrrrrr.

Super Contributor

Not only spam calls, but spam e-mails.

Respected Contributor

Oh yeah - I get those and I'm not eligible for Medicare for 3 more years.  I never answer calls I don't recognize but I have a home issue still under warranty and I have been told I'm to get a call from the contractor who will come to assess/fix/address the issue.  I have no idea if the company name will be on caller ID or if the particular contractor sent will be on a cell phone so I've been answering. 

Today it was life insurance - three calls and after, "no, not interested", the last one I told that I think the same company is hitting me up since I answered and told them to not call again!

Valued Contributor

These calls come through on my landline. I have caller ID, so I never answer them.  Sometimes I press the disconnect button, and then call the number back on my cellphone.  Sure enough, the number is listed as a disconnected number.  Since they use the same area code as my landline number, they think I will answer - thinking it is a local call,  I used to answer in Spanish,and would them I don't speak English.  I speak a little Spanish - but they didn't know that.  If they told me that they don't speak Spanish, I would tell them that I don't either - but I do speak "Alleman", which is German in Spanish.  By that time, I have wasted their time, and they get so frustrated they hang up.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've noticed a definite increase lately, 10 - 12 spam calls each day.   I have a call blocker but they use new numbers every day.

ETA - My call blocker can block by the exchange as well as area code.  I've blocked our exchange because they keep using it trying to fool us into thinking someone in our neighborhood is calling.   

Valued Contributor

Another good way to confront these people is to get a whistle and blow it into the phone.  I heard a radio commentator mention this.  It will either give the person on the other end a massive headache, or destroy their hearing for a while.

Respected Contributor

We have had a definite increase lately. Just today, we have had five, starting at 8 A.M. It does no good to block the numbers. They just come back with more numbers. My phone carrier does not support NoMoRobo. I am so sick of it. DH is ill and sleeps much of the time during the day, so is awakened by the calls, but does not want to get rid of the landline. Cat Mad

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

The reason for more calls is this past Feb they threw out the internet privacy act , that was enacted in 2011.  Now your internet providor can and does gather your internet browsing and can sell the places you go to to marketing companies.  Which it has in record numbers.  The info has your internet address and, age group, internet browsing and shopping habits.  Before the internet companies like google, verizon, att&t, etc. were not allowed to sell your info, it was private.  Now, no more.