Honored Contributor

29,000 pieces are supposedly out there now.   Optical telescopes are tracking the items and there is hope they may be able to predict where they might land. 

Any day now, the Chinese space station is expected to fall.  The question is WHERE?

Trusted Contributor

Most of it will burn up entering the atmosphere at top speed. A scientific web site like NASA stated that it’s a bigger chance for any someone in the USA to win a lotto drawing than to be hit by any of this debris. Large devices that big have fallen out of orbit before and no harm was done.  It’s interstingbto contemplate the many places so much of it breaking up can end up, but it’s statistically unlikely there is danger. 

If you hear Chicken Little squawking that “the sky is falling”, don’t get scared. 

Honored Contributor

The Chinese space station will either burn up on reentry or no doubt fall into the sea. Remember Sky Lab back in the 70's, the mathematicians at  NSA tracked that and they were pretty much right on with their calculations where it was going to land in the sea.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99wrote:

The Chinese space station will either burn up on reentry or no doubt fall into the sea. Remember Space Lab back in the 70's, the mathematicians at  NSA tracked that and they were pretty much right on with their calculations where it was going to land in the sea.

Much of the space junk does not burn up, it falls into the Pacific. Many of us 

are right next to the Pacific.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7Well I guess we'll see, won't we!

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99wrote:

@Noel7Well I guess we'll see, won't we!

@blackhole99

We will. Someone has come uo with a Space Fence.  I’m not quite sure what that means, the explanation sounds like tracking.

Respected Contributor

Not to worry.  It will probably fall on that floating island of plastic trash in the Pacific.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraftwrote:

Not to worry.  It will probably fall on that floating island of plastic trash in the Pacific.

Oh, yes.  Twice the size of Texas.  Kind of like a catcher’s mitt @RoughDraft

Honored Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

29,000 pieces are supposedly out there now.   Optical telescopes are tracking the items and there is hope they may be able to predict where they might land. 

Any day now, the Chinese space station is expected to fall.  The question is WHERE?

not worrying about it.

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraftwrote:

Absolutely.  I never was aware the garbage in the ocean till they were looking for that Maylasian airliner.  I was shocked to see stuff like doors, a part of a roof, etc. all floating around in the Pacific Ocean.  More junk initally spotted  in the Pacific then in the Atalntic oddly enough.  But everything flotats around the world over and over. We have fouled our oceans. I don't know how anyone can eat ocean fish.