Honored Contributor

Record heat this weekend.

No precipitation.

And our population continues to grow.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   southern Florida is flatter than the proverbial pancake, so hills and mountains don’t account for the dryness.  

except for the dreaded hurricanes, most of the rain storms come to us from the Gulf coast, but so many swerve to the north if the come from the south and stay north if they come from the north almost as if to avoid adding water to Lake Okeechobee. (I assume there’s a more scientific reason, but I don’t know it.).   That’s the huge lake west of us-  largest fresh water lake in Florida, 8th largest in the nation.

whatever the reason, here we are nearly surrounded by water with enough to drink nowadays if we don’t overuse it.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Southwestern Drought

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 

Texas is right there with you regarding the drought...

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/currentmap/statedroughtmonitor.aspx?TX

Although that artic storm wrecked havoc, the snow really helped us, everything is pretty and green (except for the plants that met their demise due to the storm) but probably not much longer. We've had little rain, just enough to wet the sidewalks, we are at Moderate and Severe Drought (D1 and D2--depending whether you live in the northern or southern part of the county) with Stage 1 watering restrictions

• Watering with an irrigation system, sprinkler or soaker hose is allowed only once a week on your designated watering day.
  • Water waste is prohibited at all times. Water waste includes allowing water to run off into a gutter, ditch, or drain; or failing to repair a controllable leak.
  • Watering with a hand-held hose, drip irrigation, bucket or watering can is allowed any time and any day.
  • Washing impervious cover such as parking lots, driveways, streets or sidewalks is prohibited.

.....a slight chance for rain this weekend---keeping our fingers crossed.....Folks send your rain to Texas and the Southwest......

Of course weather patterns go in cycles and according to meterologist reports things will eventually change 

Capture.PNG

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

We're hoping to buy a vacation home in Henderson, NV.  Two things worry me about the Southwest: at some point turning on a faucet and nothing coming out and the cost of water which has gone up significantly in the past few years.

@kaydee50 

I dont know about NV, but our city here in Texas is implementing a long term plan with our growing population----what takes up most of our water here is agriculture and people watering their lawns and landscaping....and of course just wasting water....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”