QVC Customer Care

Re: Southwest Airlines Apologizes- Agent Was WRONG!

Honored Contributor

Was this woman the ONLY one traveling with a child on the plane who was questioned?  Or were other people asked like it was random?  I know another woman said she wasn't asked but were these the only 2 on the plane traveling with children?

I have a feeling there is more to this story.

Trusted Contributor

I will admit to not reading this entire thread but did it have anything to do with the age of the baby?  Maybe under two so going free and needed to be proven.   Maybe the other baby was older.   Just wondering.

Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

I will admit to not reading this entire thread but did it have anything to do with the age of the baby?  Maybe under two so going free and needed to be proven.   Maybe the other baby was older.   Just wondering.

the mother and father had proof of the babys age with the babys passport @Junebug54.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Marp wrote:

With some of the replies on the two threads about this incident it appears that some posters think only certain races/ethnicities are human traffickers or kidnappers.

Any one of any age could be traveling with a child for nefarious reasons.  Required verifications should be done for all not just some.

Why would you assume that people of other races/ethnicities are not questioned.  

In the story that started all of this, a Caucasian woman with a Caucasian baby (and a different last name) was not questioned while this particular mother was. I think it's obvious that it was racially motivated.

Don't think anything about this story is obvious let alone racially motivated.  It is all about it made her feel bad. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Marp wrote:

With some of the replies on the two threads about this incident it appears that some posters think only certain races/ethnicities are human traffickers or kidnappers.

Any one of any age could be traveling with a child for nefarious reasons.  Required verifications should be done for all not just some.

Why would you assume that people of other races/ethnicities are not questioned.  

In the story that started all of this, a Caucasian woman with a Caucasian baby (and a different last name) was not questioned while this particular mother was. I think it's obvious that it was racially motivated.

Don't think anything about this story is obvious let alone racially motivated.  It is all about it made her feel bad. 

After I read all of the facts, it was obvious to me. 

And it's not all about her feeling bad.  It's about her wanting to speak up because this is not okay.  Things like this happen all the time, and should not be swept under the rug.  She did the right thing by going public.  Only by people speaking up can things that are wrong be brought to light and made right.

Honored Contributor

I still don't and won't understand the excuse from poster's that this baby could have been a kidnapped child! What? The agent was wrong we have found out but that's okay because she may have stopped a kidnapping? Are you kidding me? The agent doesn't have a clue that she was wrong (especially accepting a fb status) and apparently many others don't either.

If I'm asked for proof of relationship then everybody on that flight with kids better be asked as well!!!!!!!!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

I still don't and won't understand the excuse from poster's that this baby could have been a kidnapped child! What? The agent was wrong we have found out but that's okay because she may have stopped a kidnapping? Are you kidding me? The agent doesn't have a clue that she was wrong (especially accepting a fb status) and apparently many others don't either.

If I'm asked for proof of relationship then everybody on that flight with kids better be asked as well!!!!!!!!

Exactly.  There was just as good a chance that the white mother who had a different last name than her white baby was a kidnapper too.  She could have been involved in trafficking or she could have been violating a custody agreement and taking the child away from the father.   A white woman with a white baby is not automatically innocent, although time and again that's the mindset.  (I'm a white woman with white children and I've seen it countless times - I'm treated differently than others.)

No applause from me for that agent for trying to prevent a kidnapping.  If that was the intent, the other mother would have been interrogated in the exact same way.  And she wasn't.   Those of us who are arguing this point aren't saying that children shouldn't be protected.  Not at all.  It's the exact opposite.  All children should be safeguarded, not just the ones whose parents have a different skin color.  I don't believe for one minute that this agent's actions were not based on race.