Respected Contributor

Re: Southwest Airline Criticized For Mother’s Proof Of Child

@occasionalrain wrote:

Something to consider: the woman questioned was white, the agent's concern was for the child who was black; if the agent were racist, why would she care what happened to a black child?

I do, most definitely blame this mother for creating a tempest in a teapot and causing harm to the agent who, for whatever reason, had a concern and was just trying to do her job.

I think I've lost the ability to respond rationally, so I'll just toddle off...

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

Didn't I just see a commercial for some kinda popcorn that features a pretty blonde mom with her 3 beautiful bi-racial children enduring the wait at an airport? Do you think she would have to show proof they were hers? Familys come in all sizes and colors. You would think they would know that by now.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

this is a bit of topic, but it does have to do with racial or ethnic profiling,

how many times have you received one of those TSA love notes in your suitcases?

they are the ones that say your checked luggage has been RANDOMLY selected for inspection.

i have.......and i get those notes every. single. time......how RANDOM is that?

I've never had one but I don't fly often.

Honored Contributor

I would think how the child is reacting to whoever is holding him/her would be the criteria for whether or not this was a kidnapping or child trafficking. 

I say this . . . realizing that it could be a parent who is taking the child away from the other parent . . . but I don't know how that could be proven in a check at the airport.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

I would think how the child is reacting to whoever is holding him/her would be the criteria for whether or not this was a kidnapping or child trafficking. 

I say this . . . realizing that it could be a parent who is taking the child away from the other parent . . . but I don't know how that could be proven in a check at the airport.

I believe that is the reason the agent wanted to see the woman's FB page. The father was there, his name and the baby's names matched, the woman's didn't so the agent was concerned it was perhaps an attempt to interfere with custody. 

Some people want to make this into something it never was to further their own agenda.