Esteemed Contributor

Re: Southwest Airline Criticized For Mother’s Proof Of Child

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

Do they do that for ALL children? If not, that's racial profiling, period.

I have many friends who are parents, including some of bi-racial children. I've never heard any of them report that an airline asked to prove the children belonged to them before they boarded a plane with them.

I've never heard of that happening to anyone I know either.

And I'm also kind of appalled that a woman would be questioned because her husband wasn't with her.  Really?  Since when is a woman traveling alone with a child suspicious?  Not every couple travels together every single time, and of course there are lots of single moms too - thru divorce, death, or simply never getting married.

I totally agree with you.  Unless they do that routinely for ALL children, it is profiling.  Absolutely.

Honored Contributor

this is a bit of topic, but it does have to do with racial or ethnic profiling,

how many times have you received one of those TSA love notes in your suitcases?

they are the ones that say your checked luggage has been RANDOMLY selected for inspection.

i have.......and i get those notes every. single. time......how RANDOM is that?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Chrissy Teigen tweeted to her saying that yes, it happened to her, and now when she travels with her children, she has a boatload of papers with her. 

Chrissy went on to say that while it is a bit of a hassle, she would prefer them being thorough when it comes to kids, than not to be.....I agree...... 

I agree too.  I wish they would be diligent about ALL children.

Honored Contributor

@Zernia Rose  I'm not disagreeing with you on that; you're absolutely right. There are times, however, that I don't believe it is. When it comes to a parent and child (especially when a child can't speak), you have to be careful as children ARE targeted. I don't think there's ANY easy way to say to a parent "I doubt you are the parent and I would like proof just to make sure".It happened to me and I was LIVID. You have no idea how.

My family is bi-racial; weddings, funerals, parties....we are definitely a Rainbow : )  So many sides to the coin due to our multiple shades and well, there it is. Just understand , I don't say something like that flippantly.

Valued Contributor

Just another story which amounts to nothing. 

Honored Contributor

Officials added that Southwest’s policy is to verify that lap children are younger than 2 by reviewing a birth certificate or government-issued ID, and that employees aren’t required to match the last names of a child and guardian on domestic flights.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/30/southwest-airlines-dia-biracial-baby/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

The first line in the story about this states that the mom & baby had different last names on the ID's....if I was her I'd be so grateful that an employee cared enough to make sure my baby wasn't being abducted. I don't know how the parents & loved ones of missing children go on, the strength it takes to face everyday not knowing what happened to them & if they're alive or dead... it's something that those who see only race in this story need to think about.

I agree and it's probably a kidnapping thing bc if it were different last names only - I worked in the school system for about 7 years and when I left in 2000 from what I saw, many famillies were blended and many kids had different surnames all within the same family.  

Trusted Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

The mother is white, the child is biracial. Southwest made the mother show proof she was indeed the mother. I am going to side with Southwest here. If this was a child abduction, Southwest would have be criticized even worse. Darn if you do, darn if you don’t. At the Canadian border I had to answer questions as did my ten year old that it wasn’t a custody abduction because my husband wasn’t with us. We gladly answered.

I used to always travel with birth certificate copies even though my children look just like me.  They are ALWAYS asked their names and ages and who I am.  Then no evidence was needed after the kids say that I am their mother.  But i still brought evidence when they were little just in case.  It isn't worth it to not have evidence.  What if child is feeling shy or not making eye contact so appears suspicious in some way... I'd hate to miss a flight over it

Trusted Contributor

Sahmlam,

Apologies if your received my comments as flippant or critical; that was not my intent.   I just didn't want the existence of any "ism" to be minimized. We probably share  perspectives on some issues.

I agree totally that children should be nurtured and protected.  Too many dangers abound and caution is needed.  Given the prevalence of trafficking of children for all kinds of nefarious purposes, perhaps airlines, bus companies, and trains should all require identification for all children under the age of eighteen.

Your rainbow family has probably experienced many kinds of interactions and problaby have grown weary of explaining who and what they are, perhaps. The good thing is  that change may be slow but change does occur, often for better, sometimes not.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Few things are more devisive than the feeling of having to walk on eggshells around others.  Being concerned that what you say or do, no matter how well intent, will offend and have you labeled racist leads to avoiding the very ones who otherwise could become friends.