Respected Contributor

Re: Southern Living Magazine

[ Edited ]

I have subscribed to that magazine for decades.  Absolutely love it!  Love the recipes and the home remodels and makeovers. 

Honored Contributor

Love the magazine, hate their subscription policies. Your first subscription is typically like $9.99 per year. Then each renewal the price goes up and up and up. It's like they're testing you to see how much you'll pay. Year two they'll ask for $14.99-$19.99, then year three $24.99-$29.99. I always let my subscription lapse then resubscribe through Publishers Clearing House for $9.99 again. Why should I pay two to three times what others are paying?

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

Long time subscriber to Southern Living as was my mom.  The Grumpy Gardener (Steve Bender) is funny and informative.  I look forward to him every month.

Honored Contributor

That reminds me, at a recent trip to the thrift store, I found a yellow covered casserole by Gail Pittman for SL.    It's pristine.   

@Pqfan wrote:

I  used to buy Southern Living and Coastal Living  once in a while.What lovely magazines. I didn’t know that Coastal Living is discontinued. The elegance and charm of the places are amazing. 🌸

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Love the magazine, hate their subscription policies. Your first subscription is typically like $9.99 per year. Then each renewal the price goes up and up and up. It's like they're testing you to see how much you'll pay. Year two they'll ask for $14.99-$19.99, then year three $24.99-$29.99. I always let my subscription lapse then resubscribe through Publishers Clearing House for $9.99 again. Why should I pay two to three times what others are paying?

@gardenman , Check out DiscountMags.Com. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I used to do the same thing with HGTV Magazine.

I haven't paid for my Southern Living subscription for the last six years, I get it free thru my local recycling rewards program.

Honored Contributor

'Just the other day', I was thinking/discussing West Virginia.........And that we don't hear much about 'West' V.

I'm going to have to take a look at images, etc.

Sounds as though it's a beautiful, wonderful state!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Yes, Southern Living is a beautiful magazine. 

And their newsletters are fabulous, too!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman   As I posted above, my first (and only) year of it was free, because of my subscribing to another magazine I got a free subscription for a year to SL, something I didn't even request!

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee 

Yeah, they offer very good deals to first year subscribers or new customers, but then the price goes way, way up. Most magazines do it somewhat, but Southern Living takes it to a bit of an extreme as far as I'm concerned. I dont even really mind it doubling to $19.99 for the second year, but then when it jumps to $29.99 for the third year, while others are getting it for $9.99, it starts to seem a tad unfair. I don't know what it jumps to in year four as I've never bit on the year three price, but I doubt that the price increases stop. It truly feels like they're testing you to see how much you'll pay rahter than charge everyone a fair price.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!