Esteemed Contributor

Re: Southern East Coast Retirement Recommendations

@caf in va wrote:

As to catch my drift, we have spent many months living in both Wilmington NC and Charleston SC and have never found the cultural attitudes to be a problem. We traveled the world as members of the AF and have learned one thing to a successful transition- you are moving into that states culture and need to know you are the one that needs to adapt!  No one ever has success going to an area to live if your culture and political views are not compatable,everyone is just miserable.

Perhaps the west coast would be more of what you are looking for.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You stated it well.( Probably why I might have been poofed even though I was most cryptive ! ) We lived in and around Ft. Bragg and while the people are generally great being compatible culturally and politically is of utmost importance. I would not retire there as things are now.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ Lotus - If you finally settle on SC as a spot, I would highly recommend renting for a time before you buy anything. It is very different to vacation here than live here full time. Don't know where you are from but if you are used to big malls and tons of shops, coastal SC isn't it. can you take heat and high humidity? Do you like to eat out? Depending on where you settle, restaurants for several months cater to tourists. We have two spring bike rallies and one in the fall. Many thousands of bikes and people come in. There is much to think about when relocating but I will try and answer your questions as best as I can. BTW fireworks are legal here and can go on until two in the morning. Unfortunately, there aren't many things enforced and much that doesn't make the news (wouldn't want the tourists to find out!)

Respected Contributor

A friend of mine checked out Lakeside Living....I think it was in Conway....when she brought her son back to college.   It looks close enough to the coast for me.   As long as the ocean is within driving distance, I'm OK.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Contributor

We lived in Va for 12 years until 3 years ago, loved going to Va. Beach  before and after the summer season. I really consider Va. My home, but there is something about the south and the people if you give them a chance that is wonderful. As for the physcical beauty, Charleston and that area has something that just draws you in. I felt it the very first time we went there and so far it that feeling has not left either me or my husband.  That place is just magic.

Respected Contributor

Thanks Riley....I live on Long Island.....used to the heat and humidity.....can't stand the cold and snow anymore.

I stay away from the malls and traffic......I've been doing a lot of online shopping.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Esteemed Contributor

I think Conway is maybe 45-60 minutes from the ocean however it is one of the main roads (east/west) to the beach and has a lot of traffic

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a Jersey Girl - the move to SC is culture shock for sure! Charleston area is lovely as is Mt. Pleasant, however, both areas are pricy. If I had it to again, would I? Probably not, not in a such a high tourist area. And maybe in an area with more shops/good restaurants

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few things to note from a N.C. native -

Check out a map of the Eastern coast.  NC juts way out into the ocean, so hurricanes the force of Sandy are a frequent (almost yearly) occurrence.  It is not unlikely for them to hit the coast and veer inland. We are better prepared than those further up the coast, but there is only so much you can do.

The humidity most of the summer is 70% or higher.

NC has QUICKLY changed colors.  Depending, this can be a good thing, or not.

People here do and will speak with Southern accents.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

My DH is retiring end of year. I have a ranch style house (no steps) live in Az there are so many 55+ homes, well seems they all no matter where you live have same HOA's I have found the monthly HOA is close to $200 a month we get the pool but if you want to be active & get into book clubs, computer classes etc they offer if around $50 a class. Dh plays golf which is another extra (expensive) yards are small & seem to be open fences that look into all neighbors. Everything you want cost money to join. Also most are so far away from grocery, hospitals & retail stores. My other concern was my daughter, if we died she will inheirt it but will not be able to live there unless she is 55 & older so she is stuck with a house she can't live in. Also never buy new, find the model drive around a few streets that are built because so many for sale, guess they died or living in an assit & so much to choose from. We are 64yrs guess not ready for this yet. Just figure it out is this is really what you want, I have been on tours they really paint a wonderful picture but the monthly costs are high with the HOA's & other expenses.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We live in a 55+ community and love the lifestyle, but I realize it is not for everyone.

When we first began our search we started with the 55+ near Hilton Head.  At any of these communities you can arrange to stay for 3 nights, at a very low cost, in one of their homes.  This time is used to tour the models, participate in the lifestyle, and talk with their reps.  You get 'a feeling' for the place.  This is something I would recommend you do.  We did not buy here, not because we did not like it, but because we chose Florida.