Respected Contributor

Southern East Coast Retirement Recommendations

[ Edited ]

I won't be retiring for  several years, but I'm starting to research some areas on the east coast....preferably in either North or South Carolina.

I'm not sure if I want a 55 and older neighborhood a diversified area.  

My only requirement is that it's not far from the ocean.

Anyone have any recommendations?

TIA

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

Re: Southern East Coast Retirement Recommendations

What are your interests? Golf? Check out Sun City in Bluffton, SC. A huge 55+ community with many amenities. It is very near Hilton Head. And they are currently expanding so there are new build homes available.

Respected Contributor

No, not into golf.....no real sport interests.

I love to garden.

Bluffton is a little too far south.....I was looking at some places in Conway, SC....anyone in that area?

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Lotus, we have a number of friends who relocated to NC (Wilmington area) and one couple retired to Myrtle Beach.  They were all over zealous when they found they could get so much house for their money, (compared to NJ) instead of downsizing they built these glorious BIG homes on golf courses.  After awhile, the novelty of these beautiful homes wore off as they became a hotel for everyone passing through, and there was too much upkeep. One couple in NC is still in the house but 2 other couples moved to condos in 55+ communities.  Now they complain about their neighbors!

For the couple in Myrtle Beach, it was culture shock.  They are Italian and Catholic and get a lot of "are you part of the mob?"

What you need to do is visit a number of different areas for 2 weeks or so. You'll get an idea of whether or not the area is a place you could live.

Honored Contributor

I happened to be visiting western Maryland near Antietam and even though the area was quite pretty -- rolling land, mountains in the distance, I wouldn't want to move there. There were certain things that bothered me in either people's windows of small stores/bars or backs of license plates. Stick to the eastern side of Maryland.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
QVC Customer Care

Contributor

As to catch my drift, we have spent many months living in both Wilmington NC and Charleston SC and have never found the cultural attitudes to be a problem. We traveled the world as members of the AF and have learned one thing to a successful transition- you are moving into that states culture and need to know you are the one that needs to adapt!  No one ever has success going to an area to live if your culture and political views are not compatable,everyone is just miserable.

Perhaps the west coast would be more of what you are looking for.

Respected Contributor

caf.....I get that......but I don't want to be too far from my kids.

I have a sister in VA.....I may even end up there.  My ex is in Murrels Inlet and seems to be happy there.   Of course he's with his significant other....I'm sure that helps.

Esteemed Contributor

Considering taxes and cost of living, I'd opt for South Carolina over North Carolina.  Plus, SC has warmer weather in the summer, but not intolerable.  If you're thinking Conway, you probably know it's home to Coastal Carolina University with an influx of college students and party atmosphere in some places.  I'd prefer Conway over Myrtle Beach.  I like the River Walk area, and it doesn't seem as commercial/tourist as Myrtle.

There are many beautiful lakefront communities in North and South Carolina.  In keeping with the theme of another recent thread (ocean vs. lake), I must say I'd prefer one of the Carolina lake communities over the ocean.  In both states, you'd still be relatively close to the ocean if you opted for lakefront.