QVC Customer Care

Re: South Korea-based US soldier tests positive for coronavirus

Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Given that the agency created to deal with pandemics and health crisis durilng the Ebola crisis was defunded and disbanded, The USA is woefully unprepared to deal with the covid-19. The HHS secretary admitted to Congress that we don't even have enough supplies (respirators, etc)  stockpiled to deal with it.

@reiki604 

As you say, Federal Pandemic Response Team defunded and closed 2018.

Also, Repeated Budget cuts to National Centers for Disease Control (CDC) &

World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations ignored.  The Acting Director of Health and Human Services (HHS) acknowledges the we are unprepared.

Not an alarmist, but I am concerned, we have yet to identify the method of transfer.  My background is Public Health, I remain watchful; we all make our own choices.

@Snoopp 

The CDC Global Rapid Response Team was created in 2014.

@Drythe My background is also  Community/Public Health and educator RN and I was on the Y2K team and subsequent Emergency Preparedness Teams in NYC until I retired. It's amazing how old habits just kick in. I've already started putting aside provisions to last 2 weeks just in case. My friends think I'm nuts but who do they come to during blackouts and other emergencies but to the Reiki house for flashlights, candles and something cooking on the grill. OOPPPS that reminds me, get the tanks filled tomorrow.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 

Happy to meet you!  Public Health - Policy & Education here.

Yes, they do kick in! 

Hey, best case, we’ll have plenty of masks and batteries!

GO Y2- K!  You did 👍 great!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What are we to make of what I bolded in this clip?  I shudder to think assistance will be weaponized.  States should never be separated according to which are "important partners", we are U-N-I-T-E-D lest that be forgotten.  Perhaps I'm reading something into it that isn't there.  It's hard to know what will happen next to punish.

per Dr Fauci: the newly developed vaccine (!) will be going into trials earlier than expected, probably w/i 2 months. trial would last 6 - 8 months ; also trial of efficacy of remdezavir/Gilead for treatment is ongoing now and if successful can be online quickly.

beyond vaccine/drugs, medical supplies being stockpiled should we get into a transmission stage.

when Congress gets around to appropriating $$, some will flow to the states who have been important partners.

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe 

task force is composed of people at CDC, NIH, Dept of Transportation , HHS - already gov't employees - they've given press briefings over the last weeks

Gilead - trial is for efficacy, not safety

transmission - speaking of when it spreads dramatically - we only have one confirmed case where a couple transmitted one to the other  -  we're speaking of the U S here as locus not China

appropriation - referring to the request put forth on Monday for emergency funding which Congress is having hearings on - this is new funding. similar to what was done with Ebola outbreak. 

re the states - if you saw Gov Cuomo's news conference today, he explained how NY (probably California too) as major clearing house for travelers is handling need for locations for quarantining of cases (hotels, etc), cases that come from entry testing done by federal officials. some 80 cases are being monitored there for example.   another example might be Nebraska hospital which has taken on the Princess people who tested positive .Nebraska hospital is teaching other hospitals/medical centers around the U S  how to deal with cases.   i know the military has been part of the effort - air bases here in California are being used - and we know of evacuation help they have given  -  and i am sure there are many other support functions we aren't aware of but are going on.

i'm out of info and as was said.  plenty online.  hopefully forewarned is forearmed. as was said on this we're all on the same team.

@Drythe wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

NEWSFLASH: 

presidential news conference is at 6:30  not 6  (eastern) with CDC et al.

I can't wait to hear et al.

@QueenDanceALot 

et al (et alia "and others" if Latin isn't in your wheel house) = the Vice President who will coordinate all, and members of Presidential Task Force set up months ago: Sec'y of Health and Human Services, CDC Principal Deputy Director Dr Anne Schuchat, Dr Tony Fauci NIH

per Dr Fauci: the newly developed vaccine (!) will be going into trials earlier than expected, probably w/i 2 months. trial would last 6 - 8 months ; also trial of efficacy of remdezavir/Gilead for treatment is ongoing now and if successful can be online quickly.

beyond vaccine/drugs, medical supplies being stockpiled should we get into a transmission stage.

when Congress gets around to appropriating $$, some will flow to the states who have been important partners.

reminder: cover your cough, stay home when sick, wash your hands all these help stop spread of respiratory viruses and the regular flu.

cdc.gov/covid   for further info

@ms traditional 

** How was this Presidential task force to deal with this virus (“set up months ago”) funded? Name?

**  6 - 8 months for safety trials on Gilead to clear, and the drug is not ‘newly developed’ or it would not be ready to go to trials, early or not.

** should we get into transmission, we are in ‘transmission stage’ wording is ‘Pandemic Stage’.

** “When Congress gets around to appropriating $$$”. (???)

NEWS Flash to the executives -money has ALREADY been approved by Congress to try and make up for the closure of the US Pandemic Response Team in 2018, and the recent stripping of the CDC funding.  BAD call!  Had these programs not been Depleted, we would not be playing catch up now.

** “Money will flow to STATES that have been ‘Important Partners’?

Wonder WHAT that means?  Wonder What kind of “partners”    Whose partners?🎶🎶🎵 

** Dr Schuchat (Appointed in 2015) is a well respected Physician.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Free2be wrote:

What are we to make of what I bolded in this clip?  I shudder to think assistance will be weaponized.  States should never be separated according to which are "important partners", we are U-N-I-T-E-D lest that be forgotten.  Perhaps I'm reading something into it that isn't there.  It's hard to know what will happen next to punish.

Obviously it won't be California.

They haven't finished raking the forests, so...

And earlier Azar was being questioned about the vaccine price.

His response:

"We would want to ensure that we work to make it affordable,

but we can't control that price, because we need the

private sector to invest.  Price controls won't get us there."

So no...it won't be affordable. 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom   I'm reminded of the years when school children were immunized in classrooms across this great nation.  I don't recall any concerns then about private investors being necessary to make that happen but then I was young and in line on the receiving end.

Honored Contributor

It seems the person officially in charge of the national COVID-19 intiative is a taboo topic. Fair enough, I understand the controversy and strong feelings.

May be wise to ignore that crew altoghether and just listen to the professionals at the WHO and CDC and the local authorities who actually know what is going on. Don't want to be misinformed on such a crucial topic.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
QVC Customer Care