Super Contributor

Re: Sopranos and Christmas Choirs

On 12/29/2014 dmod nj said:
On 12/27/2014 occasional rain said:
On 12/27/2014 Kachina624 said:
On 12/26/2014 sydsgma said: Lol..obviously the op does not like choral music.,
Obviously the OP doesn't appreciate any music finer what one hears on American Idol.

You couldn't be more wrong. I don't dislike choral music, I do dislike high pitched sharp singing. I don't watch American Idol or The Voice but bits and pieces of it show up on entertainment shows so I'm familiar with them. We attend the symphony, buy season tickets every year so it's not like we're country music fans.

Newsflash.....some of us like/love both kinds of music.

Wow, unfreakinbelievable. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Hi Donna Smile

Amazing isn't it?! She manages to offend sopranos, people who like or sing in a choir AND country music lovers. Talk about having a tin ear.

Honored Contributor

Hi Jules, Smiley Happy

Amazing is a good word. I was thinking of others. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} *slapping my hand...Bad Donna*

Wishing all the best in 2015. Happy New Year. Smile

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/29/2014 Holly Jolly JingleBells said:
On 12/29/2014 dmod nj said:
On 12/27/2014 occasional rain said:
On 12/27/2014 Kachina624 said:
On 12/26/2014 sydsgma said: Lol..obviously the op does not like choral music.,
Obviously the OP doesn't appreciate any music finer what one hears on American Idol.

You couldn't be more wrong. I don't dislike choral music, I do dislike high pitched sharp singing. I don't watch American Idol or The Voice but bits and pieces of it show up on entertainment shows so I'm familiar with them. We attend the symphony, buy season tickets every year so it's not like we're country music fans.

Newsflash.....some of us like/love both kinds of music.

Wow, unfreakinbelievable. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Hi Donna Smile

Amazing isn't it?! She manages to offend sopranos, people who like or sing in a choir AND country music lovers. Talk about having a tin ear.

Per the OP's original post, I believe her gripe was with Christmas choirs/choruses. These types of groups often form in late October or November and really do not have sufficient time to develop a nice "blend" of sound. Given the personality of many, not most, sopranos, I totally get her point. I've been there and heard it and cringed ( I have absolute pitch), because "loud" distorts the intended sound and uneducated vibrato just makes things worse. Tremolo you can't do a thing about, because it's uncontrolable.

Though I didn't read the piece on country music, I don't care for it for a number of reasons: women not portrayed in a manner pleasant to my thinking in some songs; vowels are incredibly stylized and "chewed" as badly as "Rs;" and the harmonic progression is easily discernable. I blame all this on my musical background, which makes me very critical, which is a curse.

Perhaps the OP has a more sophisticated ear than some on this thread.