Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sopranos and Christmas Choirs

On 12/29/2014 faeriemoon said:

This is an odd thread.

No it isn't. I have a degree in Music and could write a book on it.

Honored Contributor

On 12/27/2014 occasional rain said:
On 12/27/2014 Kachina624 said:
On 12/26/2014 sydsgma said: Lol..obviously the op does not like choral music.,
Obviously the OP doesn't appreciate any music finer what one hears on American Idol.

You couldn't be more wrong. I don't dislike choral music, I do dislike high pitched sharp singing. I don't watch American Idol or The Voice but bits and pieces of it show up on entertainment shows so I'm familiar with them. We attend the symphony, buy season tickets every year so it's not like we're country music fans.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}{#emotions_dlg.blink}{#emotions_dlg.scared}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

I'll take Alan Jackson any day over the symphony.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

On 12/29/2014 sfnative said:

This is an odd thread.

Write a book on a cranky person who wants to ban sopranos from choirs? That would be an interesting read.

Esteemed Contributor

This is an odd thread.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Write a book on a cranky person who wants to ban sopranos from choirs? That would be an interesting read.

So...if we remove sopranos from the mix, we have no part to carry the melody (most of the time) and end up with 3 harmony parts. Who said anything about removing sopranos?

The simple message here is that many sopranos in Christmas choirs are warbly singers and make a point, in a majority of instances, of being too loud, thus causing the listener discomfort. The balance between parts in SATB singing is balanced between all four parts.

Perhaps it's quieter under a mushroom...

Super Contributor

I always sang alto in junior high and high school. When I got to college, I auditioned for the choir and they told me I was a natural soprano. I was like...

He said I had a natural bell-like quality to my high notes and that's the sign of a good soprano. Who knew?

Super Contributor

On 12/26/2014 occasional rain said:

Any music can be dropped down an octave into the range of normal hearing and the song will still sing the same.

Super Contributor

You couldn't be more wrong. I don't dislike choral music, I do dislike high pitched sharp singing. I don't watch American Idol or The Voice but bits and pieces of it show up on entertainment shows so I'm familiar with them. We attend the symphony, buy season tickets every year so it's not like we're country music fans.

What do you mean by "high-pitched sharp singing"?

I don't know anyone who likes screeching .... that's very different than "all sopranos".

Super Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Lisa in VA said:

There are lovely sopranos and also sopranos who may be technically correct, but their voices just do not blend. I have been in some community theater productions and you can hear their voices over the others, which is not good. Although, like I said, they are singing the notes correctly.

This is correct. It takes lots of practice to get a group of people to sound really good together.

There are people who sing a lot louder than others in the group, ... again, nothing to do with all sopranos.

Super Contributor

This is an odd thread.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

So...if we remove sopranos from the mix, we have no part to carry the melody (most of the time) and end up with 3 harmony parts. Who said anything about removing sopranos?

The simple message here is that many sopranos in Christmas choirs are warbly singers and make a point, in a majority of instances, of being too loud, thus causing the listener discomfort. The balance between parts in SATB singing is balanced between all four parts.

Perhaps it's quieter under a mushroom...

Very true! Balance is the key. Singers who are trying to have their voice heard over all others should not be in a choir. If they love their voice so much, they should sing solos!!!

Honored Contributor

On 12/27/2014 Kachina624 said:
On 12/26/2014 sydsgma said: Lol..obviously the op does not like choral music.,
Obviously the OP doesn't appreciate any music finer what one hears on American Idol.

Newsflash.....some of us like/love both kinds of music.

Wow, unfreakinbelievable. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.